Up Grade coupe Air Conditioning

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am a HVACR engineer -which makes me dangerous- Now in the final stages of my restoration of my 73 Coupe. Looking at the condenser coil and compressor there must be a better system including the AUX. fan. I have posted a few notes on other forums and been advised this is where I will get good advice. Is there a retrofit system using R134A that is tried and true? Any advice appreciated.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
A handful of us in VA have been through this, and I think Doug Dolan has landed on the best alternative. He has an S38 engine in his car, but that shouldn't make a difference. I know he went to a Sanden compressor, and the largest parallel flow condensor his mechanic could squeeze into the car.

I kept R12 and don't want to redo mine right now, but Doug is getting much better cold air temperature readings from his vents. I bought my compressor and the custom bracket for the M30 engine from Ice Air -- http://iceautoair.com/index-1.html. You can find better pricing on the condensor, but I bought them together. The bracket made the install easy. Guy there was very good to deal with; he installed R12 fittings onto the compressor for me. I had a couple of custom hoses made up as well (I tried making my own re-using the stock fittings and did not get the fitting exactly right. It was pretty spectacular when it blew up); if you are going that route let me know and I will hunt for the vendor I used.

Doug shows up at a lot of events, but doesn't post here a lot. Try sending him a private message on the condensor. It was a Summit Racing or Jegs stock item, but the sizing is important. It made a big difference in his system.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A handful of us in VA have been through this, and I think Doug Dolan has landed on the best alternative. He has an S38 engine in his car, but that shouldn't make a difference. I know he went to a Sanden compressor, and the largest parallel flow condensor his mechanic could squeeze into the car.

I kept R12 and don't want to redo mine right now, but Doug is getting much better cold air temperature readings from his vents. I bought my compressor and the custom bracket for the M30 engine from Ice Air -- http://iceautoair.com/index-1.html. You can find better pricing on the condensor, but I bought them together. The bracket made the install easy. Guy there was very good to deal with; he installed R12 fittings onto the compressor for me. I had a couple of custom hoses made up as well (I tried making my own re-using the stock fittings and did not get the fitting exactly right. It was pretty spectacular when it blew up); if you are going that route let me know and I will hunt for the vendor I used.

Doug shows up at a lot of events, but doesn't post here a lot. Try sending him a private message on the condensor. It was a Summit Racing or Jegs stock item, but the sizing is important. It made a big difference in his system.

Thank you will try to contact Mr. Dolan and check Ice Auto Air

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Oh, and one more thing I forgot, Doug and I both installed Spal pusher fans in front of our condensors.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
once you take care of the basics - parallel flow condenser / new sanden compressor / new expansion valve, etc. ... then its all about air flow, especially if you are in a warm environment. i need to pick back up on this thought as my dash will be going in soon and the car will be painted soon. my idea was to use the e3 duct from the top of the fan ... it has side outlets (which sent air to the side vents) ... my thought was to either send a/c to the defroster vents or to create a new panel at the speaker that has some rectangular e28 side vents so you can get air to hit the face. in looking at the recent BaT photos of the silver 2000cs, it had center vents on the dash.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Working on the basics. I live in Michigan so not sure if a lot of AC is required at this time. But thanks for the insights.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
RSPorsche: Even in the E3, the contribution of airflow from those side vents is almost nil. Someone needs to figure out how to somehow fit a stronger fan/fan motor in the existing space. We need more CFMs. Running R12 on a scrupulously evacuated and renovated system one can get air coming out that is plenty cold and cool the cabin, even without window coatings or insulating doors and floor, it just takes too long. We need mo’ airflow.