Urethane gearbox mount?

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Under failry heavy braking the fan just touches the rad on the csl. It is the nine blade type and as such has less clearance. Having looked at ireland engineerings site i see they have a urethane gearbox mount. I have new engine mounts and as such think this may be the answer as it seems the engine is rotating forward rather than moving forward completely.

Has anyone tried this 'upgrade'? any noticeable downside?

Thanks in advance.

Im in St. Petersburg, Florida for the next few days, Any coupes down there?

Malc

Reaction score
Although I haven't got around to putting urthane bushes on the bucket yet I have used them on my 2002Tii and a coupe of rally cars in the past

Good Points
They don't dissolve and turn to mush with doses of engine oil
Better heat resistance than rubber ones.

Bad points
Can be a bugger to fit
Will allow more noise transmission and vibration.
If too hard can cause other components/mounts to fail.

Alternatives
If you can find an enginnering shop that makes bespoke o-rings seals etc they have the materials to make mounts for you.

I would suggest you give it a try as if it doesn't work no harm is done.

Malc

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The tranny mounts are two studs with a chunk of something flexy in the middle, so installation is easy. The mounts are all of an inch thick at best so it you think about the arc of the entire transmission/engine assembly pivoting around the point of the engine mounts, then the difference in compression between a stock rubber mount and a urethane mount is probably going to net to about .005 degree. Which is a really long way of saying, I don't think a urethane tranny mount will solve your problem.

I think you might get more clearance if you loosen all the bolts on the engine mounts, transmission mounts, the exhaust hangars, the driveline center spline, and then lever the whole bloody assembly back as far as possible before tightening everything. You take all the little 1/32 and 1/16 variances, add them together and before you know it you've got an extra half inch or so of free air in front of the fan.

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Or take the fan off put on an electric one! problem solved and you've gained a couple of HP and your water pump bearings will love you for it

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I think Tony hit the nail on the head. I will do the whole loosen and shove back a bit job I think! I like the twelve blade fan and if i hit traffic now i just sit back and relax instead of overheating myself.

Rohan