Verona 72 CS on BAT

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
What’s going on with those seatbelts. Is that a “thing” to mount them like that?
That is a thing, that is what I plan on doing
The shoulder strap was separate from the seat and no inertia reel
You were supposed to fold it up and tuck it in a pocket on the ceiling when not in use
This set up makes a 1 part shoulder and seat with reel

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is a thing, that is what I plan on doing
The shoulder strap was separate from the seat and no inertia reel
You were supposed to fold it up and tuck it in a pocket on the ceiling when not in use
This set up makes a 1 part shoulder and seat with reel
Thanks Mark, appreciate the details.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ceiling mount was introduced in 72, using the modified sash bracket/cord makes it much more comfortable. No one wants a torn aorta from the factory belt.

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is a very solid condition car with a really nice paint job. I think this is another case of the visual impression ruling over condition. The rear end accident records might also be holding it back. I met the owner and saw the car at Sonoma Speedway a few months ago. The great paint is only wonderful to the bidders if they like the shade of red. I think the wheels would look better on an E9 with the center caps removed and the bolt circle painted black. The black interior with the stock steering wheel doesn’t pop and the corroded door hinge could have been cleaned up before the pictures were taken. Professional photos with perfect lighting and more interesting setting to show off the paint would help with the BaT bidding crowd.

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I love the color. If I were to repaint in a different color I certainly wouldn't choose a red but this BMW Verona looks great to me. Totally '70s.
Also, I'd argue that the 5 speed conversion is more difficult these days than a B35 if you're trying to source a good Getrag 265-- so another plus.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great looking car, but it looks like they painted right over old, cracked sound deadener elephant skin:

1972_bmw_3-0cs_1623767523d208495d1972_bmw_3-0cs_1623767522208495d561c636259-8d99-46d4-883f-ebf3ec44b2d5-yYuOPc-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Too scared to remove those delicate elephant skins in the trunk for paint:

I know you are commenting on the delicacy of the trunk parts. However, If you saw the shop that painted this car you would know that they aren’t “too scared” to do anything. They are regularly working on $1M+ automobiles.

When I visited I saw several e9’s hand-sanded to bare metal. They were so nice that imagined leaving as-is and shooting with clear.

This wasn’t a restoration, it was an insurance claim. I know the nature of the accident and it was a very low speed mishap. You can destroy an early e9 cosmetically at < 5 mph. The e9 has no rear frame. All structure ends at the rear wells.

@scottevest went through that with his restoration. All new paint then a minor tap of
the rear messes up his tail panel. On a modern car that would equate to some stress marks on the bumper cladding.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great looking car, but it looks like they painted right over old, cracked elephant skin:

1972_bmw_3-0cs_1623767523d208495d1972_bmw_3-0cs_1623767522208495d561c636259-8d99-46d4-883f-ebf3ec44b2d5-yYuOPc-scaled.jpg

FWIW this is not referred to as elephant skin. Many owners chose to leave their original cracked-but-intact sound deadening, especially when they are maintaining the car and not restoring it.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW this is not referred to as elephant skin. Many owners chose to leave their original cracked-but-intact sound deadening, especially when they are maintaining the car and not restoring it.
if no rust, I am 100% for leaving the original fender sound damping, it is part of the car

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
if no rust, I am 100% for leaving the original fender sound damping, it is part of the car
how would you know if no rust if you don't lift it up and look underneath?

Who cares about ugly cracked original sound deadening with future buyers always wondering what's under it?