Very interesting e21

Dohn

Reaction score
All I know if that this is a very thorough and tasteful upgrade, except perhaps for the inside door panels. Looks like a lot of fun. My only concern would be the crashing sound you hear in the video when it hits a bump. Delrin bushings? My first BMW was an e21, so I have a soft spot in my heart for them. Unfortunately I also have a soft spot in my wallet...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cool car! Probably a bit of a death trap but fun nonetheless. The paint is a bit of an afterthought but all of the money probably went into drivetrain, interior, and bodywork.

The “collector” video is quite impressive.

Edit: I’ve been told by several people that e21’s are a bit squirrly when pushed around a track. I can only imagine that this gets worse as the HP goes up. I’ve never driven one personally. Funny another member and I were chatting on the phone during my commute home. We were both saying how we are beginning to appreciate the e21. I called it the “Sharkiest” of all BMW’s.

Dohn

Reaction score
The e21 is not inherently any worse than an 02 on the track, but definitely required sway bar upgrades and better shocks and struts. My 100hp (on a good day, downhill) 320i could run away from 535s at Mid-Ohio until we got to the straights. Conversely, at the Glen I got a rotator cuff injury from waving all the cars by. The motor and suspension upgrades on this one would address most of the model's shortcomings.

Can't imagine this is going to meet reserve at $17K...

Last edited:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't know. As my very first BMW, the original is where it's at.
Yeah I agree, however, finding a low mileage, original 320i (30K- even 90K miles) is nearly impossible that is in good shape (rust/straight/paint, etc.), let alone the "is" model. These cars would be immensely popular today in my opinion if it weren't for the smog issue with the more modern cockpit and the heritage. But then they would be even more modified I think and even harder to find in original condition had the smog rule not applied all these years. The smog issue is always the deal breaker for me. They are total dogs stock as well, everyone knows that, hence the popularity of the 02, "no smog, no dog." - LOL

Yes you can put a modern motor in and BAR sticker it, but I'd still opt to put that kind of money and time into a 1600-2002, E9, and/or of course an E3. E21's are super cool cars when done right but I live in CA, so automatically "pass" on them for the smog reasons and grey market 323's still scare me too even though I love those cars. This particular e21 is amazing. I've driven in it and it screams, scary fast....I know someone with a 33K mile original and I beg him to just leave it alone. So hard to find something like an original 33K mile e21, even though the old dog that she is....Just being original is "cool enough."