Very nice CHamonix on BAT

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Very nice, however, that woodgrain would bother me and I'd have to change it out.
1596720416c98f51f1d0e52020-08-05-19.16.22-1-scaled.jpg

Plus, rear suspension. All that weight on those shocker towers is a big no-no:

15967212373fbd295Photo-2019-08-19-11-24-28-scaled.jpg

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks nice. There are some trouble spot areas that are obviously missing which could be nothing or not. I'm with Rob on that wood. It's beautiful but not in the understated elegance of a coupe (IMHO).

General question: How come you never see coupes with Brembo's or Wilwood brakes? Doesn't seem like anyone ever touches them when they go to great lengths to swap springs and shocks. Any particular reason?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BTW, i do agree with both of you that its too busy for the coupe ... but its still one of my favorite woods for furniture / wood inset paneling in a millwork environment. i did elevator cabs out of this wood in the Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne about 15 to 17 years ago.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
BTW, i do agree with both of you that its too busy for the coupe ... but its still one of my favorite woods for furniture / wood inset paneling in a millwork environment. i did elevator cabs out of this wood in the Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne about 15 to 17 years ago.

I lived in key biscayne for a bit!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding the veneer on the window switches. IF I'd have been doing it, the complete shifter surround (horizontal surface) would have been veneer, not just the two 'stripes'. But, I certainly wouldn't have done it in this veneer!! It clashes with the elegance of an e9 - in my opinion.

tightbox

Reaction score
Watched the driving video, and the way this wood grain catches the light is captivating. It's certainly less "arresting" than the still photos make it appear, but probably a little OTT for my tastes as well. I'm sure you could trade it with someone for a more standard look!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
His video says E10. Oops. I think the wood dash would be better with the grain horizontal. You'd get the beautiful color and grain but not as distracting.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
one very minor thing - the trunk carpet is from a '74 - notice how it is too narrow. there is a cutout for the bumper brace on the left and the gas tank filler pipe is too far away. the cocomat for the trunk fits so much better. all in all, this is a nice coupe.

1600187234981.png

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
His video says E10. Oops. I think the wood dash would be better with the grain horizontal. You'd get the beautiful color and grain but not as distracting.
@dang - in order to run the grain in the other direction, you would have to do a lot of veneer splicing / matching ... and in a highly figured wood, that is likely to be more distracting if not matched perfectly - the better choice would have been to use a finer pomele figured veneer pattern - not the bigger quilt pattern. pomele figured woods can come from different species - macore, sapeli, kosipo and a few others

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@dang - in order to run the grain in the other direction, you would have to do a lot of veneer splicing / matching ... and in a highly figured wood, that is likely to be more distracting if not matched perfectly - the better choice would have been to use a finer pomele figured veneer pattern - not the bigger quilt pattern. pomele figured woods can come from different species - macore, sapeli, kosipo and a few others

Who knew that before lunchtime today, I would learn about the subspecies and quilt patterns of pomele wood.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
sorry, that's what i do for a living. just sharing. some people write computer programs, some are engineers, some doctors, some retired ... but i design luxury hotels (architecture + interiors) ... and design furniture.

BTW - pomele isn't a wood, its a figure pattern.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
sorry, that's what i do for a living. just sharing. some people write computer programs, some are engineers, some doctors, some retired ... but i design luxury hotels (architecture + interiors) ... and design furniture.

BTW - pomele isn't a wood, its a figure pattern.
Please don't apologize. I hope that didn't come across as critical. It was intended to be a positive statement. I love the art of woodworking and furniture design!
Ahh, so Pomele can be present in many kinds of wood. Good to know!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

Okay, I'll rephrase. To me personally, the grain of any wood on an E9 dash should be horizontal and not vertical, so in this case I would've chosen a different wood if I had to put it in with a vertical grain. In my car I using a slightly weathered look with some small water stains. It's quite trendy.

Reactions: JDH

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score

Elevator cabs still look very nice!

IMG_7808.JPG

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks for posting!!! this is a really big figure. i had forgotten how big it was.

@dang - the grain of the wood on that dash is horizontal - the figure is vertical. look at the elevator cab above - the grain is running vertical (the flitches are about 10" wide), the figure is running horizontal. that's just the way this type of figuring works. i agree with you, i would have also chosen a different wood for a coupe. i chose a different figured wood for mine. i did not want a simple straight grained (non-figured) wood on my coupe ... most coupes are like that.