VIN Check scam on Craigslist...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wanted to pass along something I learned today. Might be old news to some but maybe not...

I'm selling my 01 M3 on craigslist and got an inquiry from someone saying they're interested but that his "loan officer" requires a VIN check. They don't want old ones or one off of a random website it has to be vincheck1.com. Being that I deal with website all the time the domain name was a big red flag. No legitimate established company with have a domain name with a number following the name. vincheck.com is Carfax's website. vincheck1.com is a ghost site that scams people. They take your VIN from your ad and submit it on the backside of the site so when the seller of the vehicle runs the vin check they get a kickback. They're getting more sophisticated.

Rule of thumb... when you see a website with a domain that has a number following the name its usually used to track traffic for payouts or commissions.

Dan

jmackro

Reaction score
They take your VIN from your ad and submit it on the backside of the site so when the seller of the vehicle runs the vin check they get a kickback.

Not that I want to learn how to run scams, but I didn't understand the sentence above. Aren't you the seller of the vehicle? Why would the seller run a vin check? In can see the buyer checking the vin, but wouldn't a legitimate buyer go to vincheck.com?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not that I want to learn how to run scams, but I didn't understand the sentence above. Aren't you the seller of the vehicle? Why would the seller run a vin check? In can see the buyer checking the vin, but wouldn't a legitimate buyer go to vincheck.com?

They ask the seller to run a VIN check and tell them which site to use per their bank. Some sellers do it I guess.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Dang, I'm selling 2 cars right now and I have been getting these requests. I always say come over and see the car and I'll run the carfax for you and they never do come by. Thanks for the tip on the numerical domains as well.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Dang, I'm selling 2 cars right now and I have been getting these requests. I always say come over and see the car and I'll run the carfax for you and they never do come by. Thanks for the tip on the numerical domains as well.
Thanks, crucial info for anyone. Heard where the robo callers' technology leaves the "Do Not Call List" technology in the dust. Gotta keep those calls commin.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score

My attempt to unload my wife's car has been a huge time-suck. I've avoided a number of these, but the most annoying are the local brokers or scum. They waste a ton of time asking sincere-sounding car-specific questions, make a ridiculously low offer, and then tell you how they can help you sell it. They mix auto-responses with real responses, which I realized when I got a cheery response to my suggestion of armadillo fellation as their highest calling.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My attempt to unload my wife's car has been a huge time-suck. I've avoided a number of these, but the most annoying are the local brokers or scum. They waste a ton of time asking sincere-sounding car-specific questions, make a ridiculously low offer, and then tell you how they can help you sell it. They mix auto-responses with real responses, which I realized when I got a cheery response to my suggestion of armadillo fellation as their highest calling.

Jay,

Perhaps a porcupine might even be better than an armadillo!

Gary

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Jay, you could always call their bluff. Next time someone tries to pull a scam on you accept their offer, then tell them to meet at the local police station. When they ask why just tell them you're a cop and you'll drive the car to work and they can do the transaction there.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Jay, you could always call their bluff. Next time someone tries to pull a scam on you accept their offer, then tell them to meet at the local police station. When they ask why just tell them you're a cop and you'll drive the car to work and they can do the transaction there.

Oh I've thought of it, but that whole impersonating-an-officer thing would be embarrassing for me. But that reminds me my wife works in the federal building, and I have friends & former partners in the US Attorney's office. Make them go through security, leave their phone with court security officers, etc. Much more intimidating than my receptionist.

I've grown so suspicious and cranky, I'm likely turning off buyers. Not the best sales environment, but a good learning experience nonetheless.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've grown so suspicious and cranky, I'm likely turning off buyers. Not the best sales environment, but a good learning experience nonetheless.
The hassles of craigslist has made our job of buying private party cars much easier. Almost daily I say to a customer, "You can always get more on craigslist if you have the time and patience for it!". Works wonders.