VIN numbers

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What VIN series did the e3 models use? It was seven digits but did they ever use 228xxxx after the US 2800CS VINs ended at 2280528 for an automatic?

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Chris, I have the eE3 orange parts books. There are a lot of E3 VIN sequences! Rather than list them all, I'm just going to answer your question.

BMW did not use 228xxxx VINs at all for E3s according to the parts books lists.

Generally it looks like BMW used VINs beginning with 2 for 2500s and 2800s and VINs beginning with 3 for the 3.0 and 3.3 E3s.

Oh, US Model 76 3.0Si sedans had VINs beginning with 504xxxx and 505xxxx.

I don't see any E3 VINs beginning with 22xxxxx.

Does this help?

doubledutch

Reaction score
Thanks again Chris, nothing so far that explains the inconsistency . I was able to register the car today at the DMV with the "wrong" vin#, at least she is legit right now...
Pieter

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And I asked BMW Archive to provide build date and color for both VINs although I feel they won't find 8280.

Chris

doubledutch

Reaction score
pictures

Hi Chris,
Here finally some more pictures as i promised. I cant tell if the 8 should be a 0 but they 8's do look different compared to the other #'s
What about the vin stamped on firewall partition? Data plate does look a bit odd.

Attachments

• vin2800.jpg
    vin2800.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 324
  • vin12800.jpg
    vin12800.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 467

doubledutch

Reaction score
engine

Steve,

i have not been able to locate it yet, but i was told by m thompson that the block is original.
I will try to get some pictures next of the engine block

Henderson

Reaction score
Hi Chris,
Here finally some more pictures as i promised. I cant tell if the 8 should be a 0 but they 8's do look different compared to the other #'s

Hi doubledutch, could you tell where exactly is stamped this number? With this picture I didn't find.

Thanks a lot.
Henderson:arrow:

doubledutch

Reaction score
Vin No

Hi doubledutch, could you tell where exactly is stamped this number? With this picture I didn't find.

Thanks a lot.
Henderson:arrow:

Hi Henderson, i attached a picture of where you can find the 2 vin numbers, inside the car there should also be a vin plate on the steeringwheel collumn. Hope this helps

Attachments

• vinpicture.jpg
    vinpicture.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 397

Henderson

Reaction score
Hi Henderson, i attached a picture of where you can find the 2 vin numbers, inside the car there should also be a vin plate on the steeringwheel collumn. Hope this helps

Hmmm, I think my car don't have the stamped vin (I'll see it latter).

But thanks for the picture, if there aren'tmaybe I have "remark" there. :neutral:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And also on the engine block just aft of where the starter mounts to the block there is a flat pad with the number stamped in it.

Hmmm, I think my car don't have the stamped vin (I'll see it latter).

But thanks for the picture, if there aren'tmaybe I have "remark" there. :neutral:

Henderson

Reaction score
And also on the engine block just aft of where the starter mounts to the block there is a flat pad with the number stamped in it.

Ok, I didn't see the engine yet, its coming soon.

With last picture, I found the number stamped on the firewall partition, it was painted! I removed only a part of the paint to see if it was there.

Now I'll try a chemical remove, to avoid demage in the stamp.

Thank you again.