Vintage E9/Porsche Scheel Seats

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If someone is just looking for a set of sport seats I can see picking them up. Houndstooth isn’t period correct and neither are the seat style (edit: sear style comments below). The closest match would possibly be a late 70’s alpina car (maybe - totally unconfirmed). You see a lot of 100’s, 101’s, 300’s, and 400’s in coupes.

The period in which these are BMW appropriate is when BMW came with Recaros from the factory. Nothing wrong with the seats, they just aren’t vintage BMW seats, and certainly not vintage e9 seats.

With all that said, there are some great examples of member coupes running Scheel 400’s (original fabric and recovered), e21 recaros, etc.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
me neither, but maybe these seats had a moment in e9 time, racing ...?
well, on the other hand, wait a minute, werent the 101 the reclining version of the 100’s ?

3835B680-EA6C-4FF3-BCD5-7117C20551F6.jpeg

Wladek

Reaction score
These looks like re-upholstered Scheels 200 or 500, hard to tell which exactly model, because the difference between 200&500 is just foam stiching.
Seats are era correct (just different/wrong upholstery), production dates where early 70's.
P4190019.jpg
image1442.jpg
image1461.jpg
image1464.jpg
image1467.jpg
image1470.jpg
image1432.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification on era-correct @Wladek. IMO think that most any sport seats through the early 90’s work well with vintage euros.

FYI - It looks like the Scheel 200’s were offered in the BMW Accessories catalog starting 02/74. Although not listed as an e9 accessory, they are era-correct as Wladek mentioned, and they are “BMW seats”, which I stated incorrectly. Digging deeper, the hinges on the seat were metal during the e9 era, and for my own edification I am attempting to learn when the Banana headrest was introduced.

Unrelated side note: This is a rare four spoke Alpina wheel on the cover, but not offered as an accessory:
28E74272-AE52-4C8D-AB41-C18131600A32.png
EC01FFD8-6A5E-43BC-9717-289954E087A9.png

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification on era-correct @Wladek. IMO think that most any sport seats through the early 90’s work well with vintage euros.

FYI - It looks like the Scheel 200’s were offered in the BMW Accessories catalog starting 02/74. Although not listed as an e9 accessory, they are era-correct as Wladek mentioned, and they are “BMW seats”, which I stated incorrectly. Digging deeper, the hinges on the seat were metal during the e9 era, and for my own edification I am attempting to learn when the Banana headrest was introduced.

Unrelated side note: This is a rare four spoke Alpina wheel on the cover, but not offered as an accessory:View attachment 66262View attachment 66263
Markos you need to get a hobby mate. Oh, wait a minute... :D

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
as i remember, some early porsche models had houndstooth fabric ... perhaps they were recovered to match the cars they were put in. the biggest clue is that the side bolsters are different than the seat inset, as you can see from the original scheel pix the top of the side bolster was fabric + the sides / back were vinyl. this is true on all except the CSL type. porsche tended to do it differently by doing it like these seats for sale are.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos you need to get a hobby mate. Oh, wait a minute... :D

Haha no doubt! Doesn’t help that I took a “nap” from 11PM ron12AM. What I really need to do is ship your tow hook. Gotta find a better way to ship internationally mid-week (before 9AM) to avoid relying on precious Saturday mornings! Tardy discount will be applied. ;)

Wladek

Reaction score
From my own experience - Scheel 500 showed on photo wasn't very comfortable.
Scheel 200 comfort was much better (difference between 500 is in stitching but also in seat foam length/shape & foam softness, 200 foam is noticeably harder).
Scheel 400 was probably most comfortable (due perfect side grip), but if to goes about e9 i probably prefer less agressive look of Scheel 200

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the 400 is really comfortable. i would agree, the 200 looks better in the e9 ... but for me, its all about the comfort so i have 400s. if i had a CSL, it would be about the originality and the 100 model

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
My seats are Konigs, not Sheels, but I agree with Scott's thought that a more supportive seat is preferable. It is nice to actually stand up straight when I get out of the car after a long trip to a much anticipated car event.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
while i always thought BMW made more comfortable seats than any other 'normal' car seats ... in the last 10 years i have learned that the seats in current Porsche sports cars are much more comfortable after a long drive. that being said, the Scheel 400's are darn close ... and they are 40 year old seats. well designed + built.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
the 400 is really comfortable. i would agree, the 200 looks better in the e9 ... but for me, its all about the comfort so i have 400s. if i had a CSL, it would be about the originality and the 100 model

Having had a few early 911's with accurate ST/RSR buckets, I thought they were great. I'd say the Scheel 100's I currently have aren't that bad but a little too soft. They are very supportive on the side bolsters though and fairly comfortable up to a couple hours (for me at least). The Recaro Ideal C's are super comfortable and in a hot rod CS would likely be my seat of choice when looks and comfort are key. My 2 C's...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not a lot of love on here for ideal C’s. They are really not much more obnoxious than a Scheel 400, but I think people are turned off by the controls. I’m in love with both so take no offense to my comments. :D

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not a lot of love on here for ideal C’s. They are really not much more obnoxious than a Scheel 400, but I think people are turned off by the controls. I’m in love with both so take no offense to my comments. :D

My bad! I meant the Ideal LX C, though the Ideal C's are very Miami Vice cool...

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
"obnoxious than a Scheel 400 " Why-I-oughtta !!!
One caveat with the Scheels is that they ride a little high. I'm 6'1" and feel that if I could have the seat an inch or two lower, it would be better. I don't think there is a way to lower them without hacking out the OEM seat slide brackets.
-Kingman