W&N Grilles now available

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pretty darn reasonable I must say! Even w/the enormous shipping charges W&N outlines.

I think I paid that much for BMW ones a few years ago for EACH ONE!

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chrome would look great against a dark colour car, or with the black sticker behind them. However, how do we keep the chrome clean? Spare polish would look a mess and I cant think how to get the last of the polish away from the black sticker after cleaning the chrome?
Any suggestions from the concourse guys?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just use a detail spray Like Zaino or Mothers et al

Chrome would look great against a dark colour car, or with the black sticker behind them. However, how do we keep the chrome clean? Spare polish would look a mess and I cant think how to get the last of the polish away from the black sticker after cleaning the chrome?
Any suggestions from the concourse guys?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pretty darn reasonable I must say! Even w/the enormous shipping charges W&N outlines.
I have a set in my WN "shopping cart", along with a few other items. We'll see if I pull the trigger before the current pricing expires.

Dirk

Reaction score
I am not a concours guy, but fairly sure these are chrome-painted plastic grills and easy to clean with water and soap. Be careful that the tips don't break.
Regardless of car color, you'll need the black stickers behind the side grills.

HB Chris will correct me, but I believe that the chrome ones were used until the end of '72 and from thereon they were black.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not a correction but this is how I interpret the Orange Books as the bright chrome, matte chrome and black grilles all have unique part numbers.

All 2800CS and early 3.0 CS have the bright chrome grilles until:

3.0 CS 2213486
3.0CSA 2231998
3.0CSi 2274715
3.0CSL upon introduction
3.0CS USA 2240644
3.0CSA USA 2250503

When the following changes were made:

nur f. alle dunklen lackierungen (matt verchromt) = only for all dark colors schwarz, atlantik, nachtblau

fur alle ubrigen hellen Farben (schwarz lackiert) = for all other light colors painted black

This tells me that in the middle of 3.0CS production they switched to the matt chrome and black grilles based upon whether the car was dark or light paint. Any other theories out there?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Any other theories out there?
Wow. I've had theories that I've invented, and that in some ways align with what you just noted. But your description sounds much more official and accurate to me. And for me, it also exemplifies one of the benefits the parts books provide.

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am not a concours guy, but fairly sure these are chrome-painted plastic grills and easy to clean with water and soap. Be careful that the tips don't break.
Regardless of car color, you'll need the black stickers behind the side grills.

HB Chris will correct me, but I believe that the chrome ones were used until the end of '72 and from thereon they were black.

My '73 and '74 (both nachtblau) came with the silver (not chrome) grills. Believe it was still varied by vehicle color in these years, and not all black.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
When does the price change? This is something that I actually need for once.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe it is March 18 - you have almost 2 weeks. :)
There is another discount of $25 through March 6 (if you spend more than $250.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Related - if I pull the trigger on these new WN grilles, I may have a set of original grilles that are rough around the edges up for sale... ;)

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
My '73 and '74 (both nachtblau) came with the silver (not chrome) grills. Believe it was still varied by vehicle color in these years, and not all black.
My '73 started out Tundra and now is Nachtblau. The grills are matte black,but a CSA should have been chrome per Chris' info. Are the W&N chrome grills plastic or metal?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Related - if I pull the trigger on these new WN grilles, I may have a set of original grilles that are rough around the edges up for sale... ;)
if they are two tone (matt+shiny) hood grilles, and matt chrome side grilles, then I could be interested, depending on condition. I'm going for the original look, but I don't mind a scratch here or there.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
if they are two tone (matt+shiny) hood grilles, and matt chrome side grilles, then I could be interested, depending on condition. I'm going for the original look, but I don't mind a scratch here or there.

i do not think they will be that close to originality, basically the early process that made this “defective” two finishing looks is now forbidden as it involved the use of quicksilver,
only early parts have this distintive look, it was difficult to find those, as in 2008 grilles can only be found in later chromed plastic effect