W&N windshield gaskets

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently helped a member with front and rear glass install. Just because I like exploring options, we installed his front glass without the trim. Unlike a 2002, as as all here have stated, you can’t put the trim in afterwards. So we had to pop the front out and do it again. The back went in with under 30min of effort. Interesting to note his rear glass doesn’t have the defroster wires His is a CSI, so was no rear defrost common on Euro cars?

Anyway, his gaskets are from WN, and they were good but they weren’t flawless. Has anyone else found a better quality front windshield gasket than W&N?

John

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just had both the front and rear glass installed in my car by the restoration shop that works on many rare & exotic vehicles. They have installed glass many times,but this was the first time in a BMW CS. They will not settle for anything that does not fit correctly. I bought both rubber gaskets from W&N. The front gasket rubber was so stiff it would not seat the glass. They used the original gasket which was still in good shape. The rear rubber from W&N was also very stiff so they bought an original BMW gasket from the local dealer. That rubber was very soft and the rear glass was installed with no problems. The W&N trunk gasket fits , but it is very stiff also. I would check BMW for OEM front glass and trunk gaskets. We know BMW still sells the rear window gasket.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've been waiting for quite a while to get a new headliner installed so that I could get the front and rear windshields installed. The stars finally aligned a few weeks ago. My buddy Adam does glass for these older cars as sort of a sideline. He's done several of my cars.

Well beforehand, he carefully inspected the gaskets I had purchased. He knows that a bad reproduction or stiff gasket can make the job very tough if not impossible. I got my front gasket here. I got the rear gasket here. Adam approved both.
IMG_4696.jpeg

IMG_4700.jpeg

IMG_4703.jpeg

Here is the complete process (not a BMW but the same system) that I documented several years ago if anyone wants to give it a go. I'm still too chicken to do it myself. :oops:

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I need to put some glazing compound down on my gaskets, is the 3M product shown in your link, the way to go? Anyone have recommendations for this. Thanks

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I need to put some glazing compound down on my gaskets, is the 3M product shown in your link, the way to go? Anyone have recommendations for this. Thanks
It's what Adam uses. There are probably other choices for other installers. Adam reports that many installers on this type of glass seal do not use anything. It adds time (and money) to the process, and most owners of these older classics do not drive them in bad weather or even wash them.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had heard that too but having done my own dash wood template rebuild and re-lamination, I want to ensure it outlasts me!

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but do you put the gasket on the glass first, then put in the trim, or the other way around? I'm assuming that the gasket goes on the glass first but thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Jake

tmh

Reaction score
I just received front and rear gaskets from BMW this week for my car. A bit over $300 each. I will have to decide whether to do a new headliner. I always remember the person that installed the current headliner 30 years ago stating that it was the most difficult headliner he had ever installed.