Walloth Nesch belt line trim nuts and bolts update.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There was a discussion a bit over 2 years ago about these infamous trim nuts and bolts. At the time the consensus was that the current batch of W&N bolts were too thick and did not fit in the original trim pieces. The suggestion was then to buy the nuts from W&N and the bolts from Bmw directly.

Because W&N was selling a set (both nuts and bolts) for not much more than the nuts alone, I decided to take a chance and ordered their complete set of 90 pieces last week and they arrived today. I don’t know if they were modified since the time of that original thread, (wouldn’t be surprised if @sfdon ’s towering voice of discontent scared them back to the drawing board) but I am pleased to say that this current batch fits perfectly. They’re a little bit smaller than the originals but apart from that they fit just fine.

New vs originals

Attachments

• 1CA94C84-E726-48E7-92B7-737894369C65.jpeg
    1CA94C84-E726-48E7-92B7-737894369C65.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 94305CFB-3C43-4FA7-B6C3-6C25697589E0.jpeg
    94305CFB-3C43-4FA7-B6C3-6C25697589E0.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I put a tiny amount of 3M strip caulk around each. Even though the nut has a rubber gasket, I wanted a little extra to ensure no water gets in. Also protects the paint a bit.

I had the original W&N set. I found I only had to modify about half of them so there must have been a quality control issue also.

Beam318ti

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can you please post the W&N part numbers for the nuts and bolts as I need to order a set as well? Thanks.

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought a whole stack of nuts and bolts about 1 1/2 years ago from W&N when restoring my car..... and did not have an issue with fitting in the alloy belt line.:)

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Put some moly grease on the head of the slider to slow down the electrolysis in the aluminium track. I cut tiny rectangles from a plastic milk container to create the spacers. Zen and the art of trim installation.

Mark Jarman

Reaction score
To add to the belt line trim bolt experience, I ordered the W&N package as displayed in the picture in the @Bmachine post that started this thread. The bolt head size in the picture looks the same as the bolts I received. However, these bolt heads clearly do not fit in my trim. Further, from the picture of the trim in the picture above, I can tell that slot is deeper than on my trim. Also, the heads on the bolts I removed are much thinner than the bolts in the W&N package. I installed my door trim by grinding down the heads of the W&N bolts but it was a pain.

My car is a '71 2800. I'm wondering if the older Coupes had slightly different trim which is the explanation for the variance.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Put some moly grease on the head of the slider to slow down the electrolysis in the aluminium track. I cut tiny rectangles from a plastic milk container to create the spacers. Zen and the art of trim installation.
“Plastic milk container”?.?

what is a plastic milk container?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Reviving this thread since it is on the same subject. But this time the question is the number of nuts and bolts needed. The Walloth Nesch package contains 45 nuts and 45 bolts. As I am reinstalling my trim I noticed that my car requires 49 of each! 20 on each side and 9 for the nose piece. So their package is essentially 4 pieces short.
Has anyone else noticed this?