Want to buy or borrow 1973,4,or 1975 color chart

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
My close to Nachblau custom paint is being changed to Turkis.
The restoration shop has formulas,but we would like to see an original period correct color chart.
The change is a long story that I hope to chronicle on the Forum.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Keshav, This is very interesting. My saddle tan interior will be a unique color combo with the Turkis. Here's a pic of the 3 sample formulas the shop has found. Color # 065 is marked on the lightest shade. We wanted to see the color chart in person to take away any screen distortion. You can see these 3 samples look almost the same on your computer, but they are slightly different when seen in person in the sun. The other pic shows the primer and Jan working in the engine compartment. Jan has found many flaws in the blue paint,but almost no rust in his detailed inspection.

Attachments

• IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 127

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the one that looks most correct to me is the 065. but you are right, the sun does varies the color greatly. the one on the left also seems close. i think most people repaint the color too blue (like the right color). when my painter researched ceylon, he went through all of the formulas and the glasurit ceylon formula was noted as NOT a formula that you could use on a touch-up job. the formula that was a number 1 match was a ppg water base.

here is another idea, if anybody has an original 2002 or coupe in turkis, send them the samples and look at the match ... or borrow a headlight access panel

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
here is another idea, if anybody has an original 2002 or coupe in turkis, send them the samples and look at the match ... or borrow a headlight access panel

Yes like this, but with close matching paint samples and not poorly matching vinyl samples. @peterkaczynski entertained my desire to match these. Also @Willem Tell has a Turkis.
E991346E-EEDD-4259-9DF6-A35014604151.jpeg
3936F6C1-A0E2-4FC6-8F8E-DF427332BBE7.jpeg
2628AC63-F2F5-4EDB-B49B-8BB1A99DF461.jpeg
E8AC6008-64BC-43CE-97A1-DAAC6FCB273B.jpeg
A1F206FD-BA77-48EF-9206-9A858580D347.jpeg
FB6F9FDC-1605-4D45-A1AF-AFBDBD110706.jpeg

Ulrich 3.0 CSA

Reaction score
Hello
My 3.0 CSA was painted in Türkis in 2014.
The Code is always 065
Find enclosed A Color sample (which isn‘t correct photpgraphed with my iPhone) from my paint Shop. And a Foto of the finished car.

Regards Ulrich

Last edited:

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
the one that looks most correct to me is the 065. but you are right, the sun does varies the color greatly. the one on the left also seems close. i think most people repaint the color too blue (like the right color). when my painter researched ceylon, he went through all of the formulas and the glasurit ceylon formula was noted as NOT a formula that you could use on a touch-up job. the formula that was a number 1 match was a ppg water base.

Scott--The shop uses PPG paint. These samples are theirs. PPG was not able to match the 14 year- old Dupont blue color. But they found the blue paint was applied to primer that was not prepared for the finish coats!

Your other idea is a good one,except finding an original Turkis 2002 or CS would be very difficult. I've seen photos of only 1 Turkis CS in North America,and that one has been repainted. Ref. the Petrolicious article and that same car was sold last year on BAT.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The brochure samples aren’t correct either as I have some of them
Chris--Why am I not surprised?? -- At the color and the fact that you have those brochures..... I have the USA paint brochure for my 1972 2002 colors. The solid colors look pretty good, however.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos--Where is this poor leaf- covered Turkis CS ?? Those 3M wrap samples are not even close....

Peter is on the east coast. I think the car is stripped to bare metal on a dolley at the moment. Shoot him a PM.

Correct, there are no good vinyl matches for Turkis. I toyed with painting my car Turkis, Taiga, Inka, and Colorado. I was going to wrap it before tearing it apart but I have already landed on Colorado.

More info:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
as i remember PeterKaczynski was from NJ ... haven't heard much from him since those vinyl tests. maybe his headlight access covers still have paint on them. alternatively ask him what paint formula he is using / found to match.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well the conclusion is that nobody can call you out on the color not be original since nobody has documentation of an original and pristine example/sample. I just restored my car to its original Taiga and the PPG and Glasurit were very different. The only color I love more than Taiga is Turkis!

I know xing6666 bought a Turkis euro CSi from a friend and has since sold it but if he is listening, maybe he can help out.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My close to Nachblau custom paint is being changed to Turkis.
The restoration shop has formulas,but we would like to see an original period correct color chart.
The change is a long story that I hope to chronicle on the Forum.

there is a turkis indeed,

i used this to paint my bike in baikal blau,
it is a chart with pieces of real painted fragments

IMG-20190319-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20190319-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20190319-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20190319-WA0010.jpg

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went through this when painting my car Fjord. We tried different brand's bases but all to the correct formula for Fjord and they all looked different. In the end I went with Galsurit. It turned out great and I can say that the car has been painted to the formula whether it exactly matches the original or not.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
deQ, looks like you have the real deal ... this is what Drew needs. anybody in the americas have one of these? i find it interesting that there are 2 different fjords and 4 polaris (3 of which are 060)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Polaris up to 69, polaris neue up to 74, polaris neue pvc frei 75 and later? That’s my guess from observations but could be wrong.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
there is a turkis indeed,

i used this to paint my bike in baikal blau,
it is a chart with pieces of real painted fragments

View attachment 89618View attachment 89619View attachment 89620View attachment 89621
These paint charts are great sources of information,but looking at them through the desktop monitor doesn't really give you the same color rendition as a real sample in the sunlight. I am waiting for a Glasurit actual sample of the #065 formula. I agree with previous posts that their formula is going to be the most accurate to the original paint OEM code #065. It is remarkable that different paint company's 065 formulas come out looking different. My final choice will be the one I find most appealing to me.
This reminds me of buying my first stereo amplifier and speakers. The amp that put out the best sine wave on the oscilloscope was not the one that sounded the best to my ears. And I taught guitar and played bass in a rock band back in my college days. I'll pick the Turkis that will look best on my CS as I drive/wash/polish this Coupe for the next 15 years. Here's some work in progress:

Attachments

• IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 93