Water Pump Removal Question

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
Hi,

I was reading DeQuincey's write up on installing a new water pump and radiator clearances (https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/refrigeration-system-renewal-and-repair.6020/) and have a question. I am replacing the water pump on my 1973 CS with the same pump that shown below, which is, I believe, is the middle design between the early red blade fan with four bolts and the later E24 pump with the 32MM nut.

I know the 32mm nut is a reverse thread, but on this bolt in design, does anyone know if it is reverse thread or not?

Here is a photo of the parts diagram and the bolt I am speaking about.
upload_2019-1-22_13-2-38.jpg

upload_2019-1-22_13-48-56.jpg

I am having difficulty removing the bolt. At first I thought it might be a reverse thread like the 32mm nut is, but in reviewing photos online, it looks more like a regular threaded bolt. Secondly, I have the special holding tool needed for the 32mm nut water pump, but, with this setup, there is not enough clearance for me to get two of the bolts holding the adapter (part #6 on the diagram) to hold, making the tool a bit useless.

I am looking to confirm two things, if possible?

1.) Confirm if bolt #10 is a reverse or standard threaded bolt?
2.) How does one secure the pump and adapter when trying to remove the fan and pulleys to access the water pump, since the usual BMW water pump tool for use with the 32mm nut does not have enough clearance?

Thanks for any replies on this.

Cad

Last edited:

Simufly

Reaction score
Again no pics can be seen.
If push comes to shove, why not take off the whole of the water pump? Lots of room them to do the job on the bench

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi,

I was reading DeQuincey's write up on installing a new water pump and radiator clearances (https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/refrigeration-system-renewal-and-repair.6020/) and have a question. I am replacing the water pump on my 1973 CS with the same pump that shown below, which is, I believe, is the middle design between the early red blade fan with four bolts and the later E24 pump with the 32MM nut.

I know the 32mm nut is a reverse thread, but on this bolt in design, does anyone know if it is reverse thread or not?

Here is a photo of the parts diagram and the bolt I am speaking about.

upload_2019-1-22_13-2-38-png.58533

upload_2019-1-22_13-48-56-png.58534

I am having difficulty removing the bolt. At first I thought it might be a reverse thread like the 32mm nut is, but in reviewing photos online, it looks more like a regular threaded bolt. Secondly, I have the special holding tool needed for the 32mm nut water pump, but, with this setup, there is not enough clearance for me to get two of the bolts holding the adapter (part #6 on the diagram) to hold, making the tool a bit useless.

I am looking to confirm two things, if possible?

1.) Confirm if bolt #10 is a reverse or standard threaded bolt?
2.) How does one secure the pump and adapter when trying to remove the fan and pulleys to access the water pump, since the usual BMW water pump tool for use with the 32mm nut does not have enough clearance?

Thanks for any replies on this.

Cad

1- is standard thread
2- if you do not remove the belts, they block the pulley

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies on the bolt threading. I think my only question now is how others have secured the pump shaft to allow for unbolting the fan and clutch as I am used to the 32mm special wrench method. I can use the "jam something in place to keep it from moving and apply lots of PB Blaster to the thread first" method, but thought I would check to see if there is something I am missing in securing the shaft.

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
1- is standard thread
2- if you do not remove the belts, they block the pulley

Hmm, the belts are still on and tensioned and they are just turning the alternator, car is in gear as well.

I think it's the PB blaster and soak it then try to stop the pulleys from turning then....