Weatherproofing door window adjustment

mattie4859

Reaction score
Restoration of 1972 3.0 CSi (Inka) is now complete, major trial driving over the weekend in gale force wind and rain reveals that the "shut" of the door window is not good enough against the door rubber seals. The most extreme circumstances but nonetheless I'd like to ensure the best weatherproofness I can.

There's a gap between the rear vertical edge of the glass and the rubber it's meant to seal up to, as well as a slight gap between the top of the window and the door frame rubber. I notice the glass is a little bowed and wonder if it's taken that shape with age and a new glass will fix it, or whether adjustment of the window mechanism in the door is possible to bring the window in closer....is this a common problem, anybody any ideas/similar experiences ?

Matt

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
This problem has been experienced by others. I never heard of a window pane yielding its shape over time--a bowed profile is normal. More likely, the window regulator assembly and seals have changed shape and alignment. One temporary fix for the top seal gap is to insert some strip caulk into the seal's lip/channel to fatten it up and bring it closer to the door glass. The same can be done with the vertical seal, as old ones tend to flatten out.

jmackro

Reaction score
mattie4859 said:
....., or whether adjustment of the window mechanism in the door is possible to bring the window in closer....is this a common problem, anybody any ideas/similar experiences ?

Matt:

Man oh man, are you in for an adventure!

Yes, every angle, height, and dimension of the window-to-body alignment can be changed. And, it can be screwed up too - which isn't an attempt to discourage you from getting in to it.

Take off your door panels, and study how the window mechanism is attached to the door - everything is adjustable. If your car has ever been disassembled, it is likely that it was put back together with less care than the guys at the factory took.

Have fun!