Went "racing" and learned tons...

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
So via the local BMW chapter, I was invited to go "racing" this weekend at Utah Motorsports, fka Miller. I had planned to take my Coupe, but it wasn't finished, so I took my Cayenne Turbo S instead. I posted this to Facebook and wanted to share it here. Sure glad I didn't take my coupe....

https://www.facebook.com/SCOTTeVESTceo/posts/10211426933015891

Everything seems to be going my way lately.

Even today when it seemed as though the damage to my Porsche done in the third lap would necessitate me spending several additional days in Salt Lake City with no vehicle while waiting to get it fixed, it ultimately turned out to be one of the top 10 best days of my life.

The best case scenario was that the car would ok but need a part that wouldn’t arrive until Monday.

The likely scenario was that my 11-year-old SUV was going to require major mechanical work due to severe overheating and perhaps a new car.

I was getting my head wrapped around spending a weekend in Salt Lake City without a vehicle waiting for a Porsche dealer to hopefully find time Monday morning to fix my car and get me back on the road. Again, that was what I thought was the best case scenario with the more likely scenario me being stuck in Salt Lake City several days with a poodle and no car trying to get the car sorted out.

I was OK with that outcome although bummed that I was not going to be able continue racing which I was really enjoying in the three laps I had.

Such is life. It throws you curve balls and how you respond defines you.

Rather than getting pissy about this outcome, I decided to roll with the punches. As a result, not only did I meet a super nice group of guys that race cars for fun and for a living in some cases, one of the guys was able to overnight Saturday delivery the needed part for my car and promises me that he will be able to fix my car without any problems.

It could’ve been much much much worse. The engine could’ve blown or any number of things costing a fortune and taking a lot of time. Turns out it was just a simple radiator hose.

As if that wasn’t enough, the day went on to be even more awesome. The same group of really great guys happen to have a spare race car sitting around that was available to rent. So rather than racing a SUV around the race track I was able to raise a Porsche Boxster set up specifically for a race track instead.

I was a little uncomfortable racing a car like that so I was assigned a instructor. He turned out to be the nicest guy ever. He taught me again how to drive a sports car around the track.

I found my happy place again.

When you are driving around a track at over 100 miles an hour heading directly into a turn, you cannot think about any of your problems other than getting through that turn, alive and preferably not dead or mangled
1f642.png
as Laura would say.

To say the least, it was a blast. I got to meet a really interesting and fun group of guys. Everyone had something in common, their love of cars. The Smalltalk was fun. And, it led to more interesting talk. Everyone of these guys has an interesting story. None of the same. So I made a whole bunch of new friends.

To make it even better, Rhonda had an amazing time and learned finally not only how to catch frisbee but how to return frisbee as well.

I made a lot of friends just by introducing her to people asking them if they would watch her during my race. She loved it. And, they loved her.

As a result of this experience, I have decided to do much more racing. Unfortunately, Idaho does not have a single track but Salt Lake City is only 4 1/2 hours away and they have events every month during the good weather.

So on a day that started out possibly really badly, I have shifted the groove in my life to begin a new hobby, or take up an old hobby that I had forgotten about and really loved.

It’s really a lifestyle as well. I can see a SCOTTeVEST race car in my future
1f642.png
I will be talking with my accountants about that on Monday
1f642.png

In all seriousness, although I don’t believe in God, if there was one, I believe that she would be smiling on me right now.

Everything seems to be in the right grove, with wind at my back.

Oh yeah, I got great “phone“ from Laura. Laura is not a really big phone person but I called her in between races and she seemed really relaxed and we had some great conversations. That might be the highlight.

Tomorrow, I get to do the same thing again and I expect my Porsche wil be repaired by noon or one and I will be on the road to see Laura and Rhonda’s sisters.

Yea, Life is good. Sometimes thinking outside the box and doing things that you haven’t done in a long time can open up your mind and change your life.

Attachments

• 36040215_10211429020228070_8463489393301127168_n.jpg
    36040215_10211429020228070_8463489393301127168_n.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 118

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice! You will need to build yourself a track e9. :) Better yet, get yourself a prepped mx-5 and join SCCA. I'm sure that Idaho has plenty of large parking lots.

My mind doesn't associate Idaho being close to SLC, knowing how close Spokane is to Idaho. I always forget just how massive the state actually is.

idaho.png

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice! You will need to build yourself a track e9. :) Better yet, get yourself a prepped mx-5 and join SCCA. I'm sure that Idaho has plenty of large parking lots.

My mind doesn't associate Idaho being close to SLC, knowing how close Spokane is to Idaho. I always forget just how massive the state actually is.

View attachment 48275

Yea, Idaho is HUGE, and not a single track in the state. SLC is the closest track, about 4.5 hours away. I am thinking of truly racing Miata's, although they are truly power starved. I'd prefer Porsche Boxsters, but much more competition for Miata and much less expensive. I think I am going back to SLC in 2 weeks to play with the Boxster again. Whatever I "get," I will rent race cars and not likely ever buy one. I just don't want to deal with the upkeep, etc.

Hoping my Cayenne is not dead. If so, it will be VERY expensive to replace with anything similar. It is a 2006 but looks as good as any $125k SUV on the road. Worst case, it can't be fixed or sold for a reasonable amount and I need to buy a new SUV.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Superimpose Idaho over CA, then you'll see why people back east think it's easy to "just drive down to San Diego from SF". ;)

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S repair costs $2500 plus $500 paid at the track. All this just for rubber hoses, replaced now with metal since Porsche says rubber not good. All told it could have been A LOT more.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am going to try that next. Thank you
Actually, the shifter kart is a very raw experience, the 4 stroke kart is the one that you learn the most of in terms of smoothness. Huge G force in a proper race kart. Amazingly direct. The Kart I'd really like to try and perhaps race again is the Rotax class. Used to race in both 4 stroke (Honda) and two stroke (Yamaha KT 100) with a French Kart made by a company called Sodi. It was fun, and you would find yourself in your race suit talking about differences in race tires with a 12 year old with six years track experience.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Actually, the shifter kart is a very raw experience, the 4 stroke kart is the one that you learn the most of in terms of smoothness. Huge G force in a proper race kart. Amazingly direct. The Kart I'd really like to try and perhaps race again is the Rotax class. Used to race in both 4 stroke (Honda) and two stroke (Yamaha KT 100) with a French Kart made by a company called Sodi. It was fun, and you would find yourself in your race suit talking about differences in race tires with a 12 year old with six years track experience.

Thanks. This much I know. I NEED to be on the track at least a few times a year, whether it be karting, mazda, porsche, or whatever. I have a true need for speed.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks. This much I know. I NEED to be on the track at least a few times a year, whether it be karting, mazda, porsche, or whatever. I have a true need for speed.
Sounds like a great way to bring composure to the rest of your life.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,
As I’ve advised you before. Rentinga race car is generally far better than racing your own street car. And sometimes better than racing tour own race car. Plenty of SM car rentals out there and the relatively lower power of an SM will make you a much better driver. Cost should be in the range of $2k for a weekend event, including delivery, and full track side support. The race car will be much more fun and safer that your street ride , and you won’t be putting your $$$ personal car at risk.

The ultimate goal for a racer is to drive ... someone else’s car.