What 3.0Si mechanicals are compatible with a 3.0Csi ?

marnet

Reaction score
Can anybody help as I have a very low mileage 3.0Si (33k) that needs recommissioning/bodywork but is basically rust free. My intention is to use it for parts to support a 3.0CSi, I believe the engine and gearbox are compatible (can anyone confirm) but what about differential, brakes etc ?

Malc

Reaction score
Dilemma here....
I am pretty sure that most of the mechanical bits are the same, bodywork is different, except for the nose cone and inner wings, well pretty sure in the latter case.

Have you thought about keeping the3.0Si on the road? They are even rarer than a CS in the UK and it would be a shame to see another one dissappear.

Malc

ChrisE3Ldn

Reaction score
Parts interchange between 3.0Si and 3.0CSi

Hi there,

It sounds like you have a very clean Si and it would be a shame to break it! There's only about 34 left in the uk (including mine).

Check out a video clip of my car at http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.christopoulos/BMW3_0Si.MPG to see what one can do with one of them!

Parts-wise, the engines, gearboxes, brakes, wheels, front cross member, rear axle, are the same but the body parts aren't. The differential even though has the same in dimentions, it has a different final drive ratio. I believe the CSi has a slighly racier camber angles too.

Good luck with your project!

Chris

bengal taiga

Reaction score
CSi vs. Si?

I think you might get more responses if you posted this question in the general forum.

I would hazard a guess that the fuel injection systems are different in the 2 models. I am vaguely familiar with North American Market 3.0si's and they did not use the D-Jet. They used the earliest version of the L-Jet as did the car replacing it (In North America) the 530i.

From personal experience, the 4 door body type was vastly superior in structural rigidity, utility and rust resistance. I never noticed any rust on our Bavaria (U.S. carburettor'ed model) which was parked near the coast. Conversely, it seemed the coupe would start to rust if you placed a post card picture with a palm tree near the car.

Good luck.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just for the nit-pickers -- the 5 series did not replace the e3. The 5 series was a new intermediate car. The 7 series replaced the e3.

Cheers,

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The brakes are generally not compatible unless you swap both the disks and the calipers at the same time. The E3 had a solid, thinner disk whereas the E9 is internally vented and as such, wider. The E9 calipers are basically E3 calipers with a spacer to widen them.