What are these wires?

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
These wires are hanging down between the light switch and the steering column and I haven't been able to figure out what they are for. I am not missing any wires on the light switch. I have gone thru the schematics several times but just can't figure out what is missing. Hope someone out there can help. Perhaps a relay? Thanks

Wires.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do you still have an ignition key buzzer and dashboard warning light? They aren't in the diagrams but that is my guess.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris
The buzzer (works but weak) is near the ignition switch in the column and the wires are not long enough to reach the gauges.
I confirmed the brown is grounded and there is only 0.08 VDC to the pair of wires with red stripe with ignition on and no power to the single wire.
Power off from ground to the pair with strips is 3.2 ohms. Something else powers these wires. I may need to wait to be able to power everything on to see what happens.
Thx,
Dan

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan/Chris- could they be for optional fog lamps/driving lights?? maybe on US versions only?

Peter
Could be an option for fog lights. There is a recess (uncut) in the underdash for another switch (similar to hazard or rear defog) that could line up with the wires.
Thanks,
Dan

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just looked on my cheat sheet for wire colors.
Gray w/red has a few locations
1. Fuse box to light switch
2. Rear parking lights and license plate
3. Voltage splitter for automatic trans position indicator
Looks like you have manual trans, but my guess is you could have harness with automatic extras?

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just looked on my cheat sheet for wire colors.
Gray w/red has a few locations
1. Fuse box to light switch
2. Rear parking lights and license plate
3. Voltage splitter for automatic trans position indicator
Looks like you have manual trans, but my guess is you could have harness with automatic extras?
Thomas
I do have a manual trans. Wiring for auto trans is a strong possibility.
I need to find the position indicator on the schematic to confirm.
Thanks,
Dan

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Connection 32a on a usa car which goes to nothing. There is no 32 switch in USA - only euro.
its in both lighting schematics.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is another mystery for the experts as I start cleaning up the engine bay. This bracket is on the firewall above the engine and there are 2 wires (Green and Brown) that most probably attached to whatever was mounted. I have gone through the schematics and pics on BAT.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• Bracket on Firewall.jpg
    Bracket on Firewall.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 136

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Maybe carb stuff, extra relays can exist for things like electric choke. Maybe emissions based relays that came later cars?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
US coupes had metal dash pots there receiving a signal from the speed relay below the coil and they controlled vacuum for emissions controls like the dash pot on the accelerator rod to slow return of the accelerator when letting off on the pedal. Early coupes had one or two, 73 and later had three. They can be removed along with the speed relay and the black/red wires by the coil.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
US coupes had metal dash pots there receiving a signal from the speed relay below the coil and they controlled vacuum for emissions controls like the dash pot on the accelerator rod to slow return of the accelerator when letting off on the pedal. Early coupes had one or two, 73 and later had three. They can be removed along with the speed relay and the black/red wires by the coil.
Thanks Chris
I figured it was something I didn't need.