What do you drive when not driving the E9???

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have always been curious as to what people drive when not driving their E9 coupes. Are E9 owners die-hard BMW fans or do they also appreciate other makes. I love my E9 and have owned a few BMW 2002's before the E9 but have also enjoyed cars from other manufacturers. My favorites have been my Alfa Romeo Milano Verde , my Honda S2000, my Eagle Talon TSI Turbo AWD, and my current car which is a Mitsubishi Evo IX MR.

bmw art car

Reaction score
bmw 850ci
there is a very long list of enhancements done
-honed intakes
custom fuel delivery
chip tuning
electric cooling fan conversion
custom koni/eibach/ground control suspension
weight reduction
custom exhaust with x pipe
255/35/18 font
296/35/18 rear

MK4_4361-1.jpg

oh and it got mr. david hobbs and mr. brian redmans signitures
trackpalmbeachintlraceway301.jpg

Last edited:

TodB

Reaction score
the other car

For my DD, I drive a Dinan prepped E28 1985 535i. Its my third E28 5 series in the last 12 years and I got it right (or the prior owner did, actually) with this one.

Mrs. B is in a 2001 X5.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
For my DD, I drive a Dinan prepped E28 1985 535i. Its my third E28 5 series in the last 12 years and I got it right (or the prior owner did, actually) with this one.

Mrs. B is in a 2001 X5.

What I find interesting is the fact I never had a liking to the E28 sedan and it never stood out to me as anything spectacular but for the last couple of years I notice I love the car more and more every time I see one. The car has really grown on me and I would love to eventually buy a 535is or the M5.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Daily driver

128i, stick, sport package, no other options except ipod adapter. This car embodies everything that BMW is still doing right. A Mustang GT is faster, a GTI is cheaper, but neither has the balance of the BMW. Not too heavy, not overpowered, rear drive, great shifter, seats, etc. Fast enough on the track for me. Read Mike Miller's rave review in the current Roundel, and that says it all. I hope people buy some more 1 series cars, so BMW will continue to sell them here. Same goes for manual transmissions. If no one buys them, they will go away.
Previously had an e36 m3 coupe and then a sedan. 128i is nearly as fast, handles just as well, rides and shifts much better in daily use.
Scott

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Two 745i turbos for me...

I get the 5 speed and the wife gets the auto.

mandala

Reaction score
I have an MZ3 coupe with the s54 engine putting out 331hp. It is a great compliment to the e-9. We also have an Acura MDX for the family but the MZ3 is much more fun!

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
128i, stick, sport package, no other options except ipod adapter. This car embodies everything that BMW is still doing right. A Mustang GT is faster, a GTI is cheaper, but neither has the balance of the BMW. Not too heavy, not overpowered, rear drive, great shifter, seats, etc. Fast enough on the track for me. Read Mike Miller's rave review in the current Roundel, and that says it all. I hope people buy some more 1 series cars, so BMW will continue to sell them here. Same goes for manual transmissions. If no one buys them, they will go away.
Previously had an e36 m3 coupe and then a sedan. 128i is nearly as fast, handles just as well, rides and shifts much better in daily use.
Scott

I agree with you 100% about manual transmissions. I have owned 20 or so cars throughout the years and they have all been manual and continiue to be manual except about 8 years ago I bought an Infiniti G20 auto and literally sold it two weeks later because I felt like I was being driven by the car rather than me driving the car.

66toaster

Reaction score
My dd for the past 6+ years is a '97 840. Have an itch to try something different. Drove an '03 DB7 6-spd yesterday. Beautiful car, but alas it's not suitable for a dd.

PaulinPa

Reaction score
'99 318Ti auto with "M" package.Fun little car,probably more fun with a stick but my left knee is giving out and I want to save it for driving my '68 Datsun Roadster.

Jeff

Reaction score
In good weather I'll take the e9 or my recent addition bought off the original owner- an 88 M5 ( 50,000 km, never seen winter, garage parked with a mint interior and great original paint). Year round I'll drive my 2003 540i M Sport. Family vehicle is a 2003 Toyota Sequoia - need something big for 3 kids and the dog.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Either:

My company car- Currently a 2010 Dodge Journey AWD (Auto enthusiast purgatory)

My 2003 E39 M5 (Heaven)

Last edited:

o

Reaction score
Great thread, interesting to see what good taste E9 owners have for their other rides, too.

I've got a 2010 Honda Civic Type R (I love Type R's, its my 5th...) which i've managed to ruin the picture of by putting me in it...

DSC01942-1.jpg

Also got an E36 328 race car that I built and am racing in with a buddy this year.

oandbim.jpg