'What's up with the new interest in my e9?,' asks Rip Van Winkle

taylorcom

Reaction score
My '72 fjord blue 3.0 CS has been parked in my carport in Berkeley CA for about 30 years and no one paid much attention. Just lately, people have come knocking on my door asking if I want to sell it for quick cash. So I put a sign on the car saying Not for Sale. Even so, a guy knocked on my door yesterday. In the past few weeks, 2 hopeful buyers have done so, and both are affiliated with body shops. I'm guessing they want to offer me low retail, shine the car up, then sell it this spring for higher retail.

Does anyone have thoughts on this apparent upturn in the e9 market?

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think that you pretty much answered your own question.
My theory on the up-tick, is that air-cooled (especially) Porsche 911's that have gotten extraordinarily expensive, have pulled the price up for e9's for many of the people in that demographic/buying or investing pool. Many of the people in this age group are in the prime time to buy a "something" from this era, and the time is nigh...which also makes many of the current e9 owners consider whether this is the prime time to sell...Neither group of people are going to live forever, and both hear the vintage euro car clock ticking (insert e9 clock jokes here) ...One demographic feeds the other, maybe...

taylorcom

Reaction score
Yep, classic cars typically appeal to specific age groups. In my case, the guys coming by trying to buy my e9 look to be in their late 30s-early 40s. I suppose their plan is to resell the car to someone in my generation (boomers). I agree the clock could run out, unless scarcity keeps it running for a while longer than usual. I don't go to classic-car shows, so don't know who actually collects the e9s.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting story! Reminds me of a CS I saw parked under a carport in San Francisco’s Cow Hollow neighborhood (near trendy Union St.) around 1990 or so. It was a badly painted coupe in light blue (non CS color), but it had a super nice tan leather interior. Coupe was as dry and rust free as can be. I posted a ‘want to buy’ notice on the coupe, but sadly, never received a reply. I kept seeing this coupe on the occasions I drove by, but the car was gone a few years later. Same coupe???

Nice coupes (excluding the CSLs) are changing hands in the 50-100k range now. So the secret is out!

Last edited:

taylorcom

Reaction score
Lol, I can say for sure mine has never been in a carport in San Francisco. Btw, I just checked Nada.com and they say values top out at $50,500. Are they out of touch w. the real world?

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Taylor,
Yes that estimate is low. A nice 3.0 CS just sold on Bring A Trailer for $106k hammer with a 5% buyers premium. If you go to their site and find a Coupe that is sold you can click on a link that will show all of the past auctions of CS Coupes not CSLs. On their site I think the highest CS sold for around $135k. There has been at least 1 CS Coupe that went for $200k in a private sale. My guess is the guys knocking on your door are aware of these number and want to buy and flip your Coupe on either this site or to a private buyer. There does not appear to be enough rust free well configured Coupes available so prices will continue to rise, especially for a CA car, and enterprising people will continue to ring your door bell.

I'd suggest you store it out of site or covered up to stop them from coming.

Regards, Jon

taylorcom

Reaction score
Good advice! I put a cover on it today, and will research Bring A Trailer to better educate myself

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't think 57 Chevys are going up very fast these days. We should have a good 10 year run with Coupes. Anyone want a 40's car? No.

taylorcom

Reaction score
I understand that the rule w. classics is the price goes up until everyone who wanted one has one. Then prices stall. The e9s may have rarity, aided by the fact that some rust away over time, on their side. Then again, who knows?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I understand that the rule w. classics is the price goes up until everyone who wanted one has one. Then prices stall. The e9s may have rarity, aided by the fact that some rust away over time, on their side. Then again, who knows?
I would install a Kill Switch and Club and an alarm. You never know who is snooping around. It might be the BringaTowtruck version of BringaTrailer.

And push up your agreed value with your insurance company to some where north of $50K.

taylorcom

Reaction score
Good points. It's possible that the guys knocking on my door to ask about the e9 might have been 'casing the joint.' The last 2 did have business cards from body shops and seemed like ok fellows, but u never know. A few years ago, a guy kept coming to the door asking if a roommate who owned a scooter parked in front the house wanted to sell the scooter. A couple of months later, the scooter was stolen.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, now you'll get a bunch of private messages wanting to buy it! LOL

mr bump

Reaction score
Here in the UK, motor traders/salesmen want E9s as a status symbol, it's a car you hardly ever see in our climate due to the dissolving body metal.
Imagine if a film like fast and furious used an E9, that kind of exposure would put our cars into large 6 figure price tags!

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here in the UK, motor traders/salesmen want E9s as a status symbol, it's a car you hardly ever see in our climate due to the dissolving body metal.
Imagine if a film like fast and furious used an E9, that kind of exposure would put our cars into large 6 figure price tags!

I had to fight off a few Limey's that wanted to repatriate my project CSL, think they'd know not to mess with convict stock :)
*apologies to all Limey's that helped me with the purchase.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Oh man I could see it now! Perhaps a drag race that just clears the path of a moving freight train! :D

A949DC43-EE38-43EF-8675-FCD97A8DBD89.jpeg

mr bump

Reaction score
A mint Audi Quattro 5 pot was fetching 10k here in the UK, along came ashes to ashes and boom, the cars are fetching 20+k, and selling! We just need that cool producer and we can all retire!!

mr bump

Reaction score
I had to fight off a few Limey's that wanted to repatriate my project CSL, think they'd know not to mess with convict stock :)
*apologies to all Limey's that helped me with the purchase.
Your probably my brother but 18 generations removed Wes!!o_O:(:D

Reactions: Wes

taylorcom

Reaction score
This discussion inspired me to dust off the e9 and take it for a drive through Tilden Park. It runs nicely, but now that I know where the prices are going, I might be afraid to drive it much. ;)