Where to buy a windshield gasket.

iamthejmsnyder

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 72 Bavaria that I'm gathering up parts for to get it back on the road. The windshield in the car is smashed to bits but I do have a replacement windshield.

I'm having trouble finding the rubber for around the windshield. The old rubber is completely toast. Anywhere I find the part listed, I buy it and get an email soon after saying it's actually out of stock followed buy a refund.

I found one on Wallothesch but it says it's only for 1974 to 1976 cars. I don't see what the difference would be but I wanted to ask in case someone has any ideas before I spend $200.

Here's the one on Wallothesch that I found: https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/windshield-gasket-3-0-l-3-3li-51-23-03.html

Any insight is much appreciated.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You need the early thru 73 gasket, the bottom trim piece is same width as the sides and top. In 74 the bottom trim became twice is wide, you would need this wider trim piece and the lower corner L pieces. Much discussed lately on the Forum. And if a seal is NLA it usually doesn’t pay to think someone like ECS has it, no one stocks these kind of items. Sorry for the bad news.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
like Chris said, you need the lower trim and corners from a 74+ car. it's soft aluminum so if you can find someone parting a car, you have to be super careful about how you remove it.
I have been exploring using a universal trim-lok piece. you can buy a flexible rubber lock strip that will fit in the channel like they use in the e30 cars. I really need to measure the profile of the trim to find the right universal strip.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
We would give you the nickname of Watson or Krick if you could unravel this dilemma for us.... You choose.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dude - send me a pm with your contact information please. I have a buddy who is liquidating a huge parts hoard and some of his parts are e3 parts. There is a long thread in the parts section on this and he has a box of seals I helped him bring down from his attic.