where to find correct wire?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question. I am starting to sort through the wiring on my car, and plan on re-wiring all or portions of the wiring harness and various off shoots of it. Anyone know where to find "correct" wire by the spool or measured lengths (correct gauge, colors, stripes, etc)? I did a search (here and the interweb), and haven't found a source yet. THANK YOU! :)

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
what's wrong w/your old wiring to use as a template?

As far as getting wires w/the right colors/tracer colors...dunno. Would be nice to have a source for all that.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The old wiring will most definitely serve as a template, combined with the wiring diagrams. I am restoring it all to original/correct. Problem is, previous owners have done things over the past 45 years that is not correct, and I need wire to replace pieces. Let me give you a "for instance":

The turn signal switch is pulled, refurbished, works perfectly, and the wiring is perfect as well. No further work needed - all is happy:
20180715-turn signal switch wiring.jpg

But the dip switch appears to have been fussed with. It looks like some wiring got hot, and someone cut the outer black wrapper, spliced in some wiring to get it working again. I want to replace these crispy wires and re-wrap. I'd prefer to do this with the correct color codes and wire stock so it is, in essence, original:
20180715-dip switch wiring.jpg

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
That looks like a pretty good bet for coming close to OEM. Certainly being able to pick your size and colors is great.
Preparing for work on my car where I might want to add some relays or fix broken wires, I have purchased a used wire harness from a slightly newer BMW off of Ebay. I've used this approach before with my '54 VW beetle and was able to get a perfect match in size and color coding. I don't know yet how perfectly I'll be able to match the E9 wires, but we'll see.

Ian

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the issue here is the tracer wire colour was painted over the base colour so finding a similar wire that has painted tracers may prove problematic.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That looks like a pretty good bet for coming close to OEM. Certainly being able to pick your size and colors is great.
Preparing for work on my car where I might want to add some relays or fix broken wires, I have purchased a used wire harness from a slightly newer BMW off of Ebay. I've used this approach before with my '54 VW beetle and was able to get a perfect match in size and color coding. I don't know yet how perfectly I'll be able to match the E9 wires, but we'll see.

Ian
That is another great option. In a perfect world, I'd source another full wiring harness from an e9 to use/pilfer. This would also provide a collection of spare connectors, etc. But that seems challenging and expensive (hate to bastardize a perfectly good wiring harness. And I'd still be replacing 45 year old wire with 45 year old wire. I ordered some colors from Eagle - we'll see how the look. I trust they will perform well.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
The staggering price for reproduction wire harnesses means I won't ever be buying one but will instead use soldered butt joints and using heat shrink tubing to replace wire ends that are bad. The wire in the middle is usually in good shape having been protected for years. I'll have to make up a new harness when I add AC to my car is it never had any.

That's assuming I can get a match on the color code with the replacement wires. If my salvaged wiring harness ($40) doesn't have the right wire, I'll look to Eagle Day to get close. With the splice back far enough to be covered by the harness sheath or wrap, it will look OEM. Fortunately, end connections are easy to do on our cars as spade lugs are everywhere. I wouldn't go cheap here though, some are better than others. I haven't sourced a supplier yet however as I'm not to that bridge.

Ian

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
can also go junkyard hopping for old BMWs and just grab the wiring for the right color-code wiring you need.

WIsh I thought of that doing that w/the old E34 and E12 I scavenged.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I haven't sourced a supplier yet however as I'm not to that bridge.
I didn't plan to be at this point, but I keep falling off these bridges. :D I'll soon post an update in my resto thread about how my restoration process has turned upside down (or backwards). But progress is progress, and I am still enjoying every minute of it. :)