Whew! Glad that's done.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
IMG_1076.jpg

Installing the center console heat/ac controls especially after they’ve all been taken apart and rebuilt, has got to be one of the most exasperating tasks there is on an E9.
Whew! Glad that’s over with, just hope I didn’t forget something.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wait till you line up the side console pieces to be flush with the dash!
Thanks for the encouragement Steve.
Kinda like the windows where it takes about 3 in and outs to get it to all work correctly.
The defroster vents that you are sure are going to break trying to get them in.
The dash, oh woop I scratched the wood.
The headliner that took a week. Get it in place clip it and see where your at. It really gets serious when the glue comes out. Still a few soft wrinkles above the rear posts.
And of course the bushing I broke in the rear window lift arm that no one has and will now have to make.
Oh the day in the life of a E9 re-assembly.

But I do see a small light at the end of the tunnel.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm about a week behind you and not really looking forward to it. Your coupe looks super clean and I thought I was OCD

Please.post lots of pics on this thread anything will help

jmackro

Reaction score
How the factory assembled e9's in quantity - and made money - is a mystery to me. The people installing the dashes & interiors must have gotten very good at it.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm about a week behind you and not really looking forward to it. Your coupe looks super clean and I thought I was OCD

Please.post lots of pics on this thread anything will help

Sorry Peter that I don't post more. I'm really so busy working on it that sometimes I just don't think to post and of course there are the armchair critics that may not like my non E9 color of Avus blue or the heavily tweaked 3.5 M30 with Weber 45 side drafts. So I just don't need that and don't really care or want to hear from the critics.
At least it's not slammed to the ground with 18" wheels. :D

Reactions: MDR

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary, If you plant some inconspicuous pictures of the latest SI Swimsuit models in the background of your photos then you are sure not to incur the wrath of the critics! I will do my best to follow my own advice in the future. :)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Also, Gary- did you do a "speaker delete" on your dash, that's the perfect solution to the broken grill on lots of our coups. I did a flush blank that almost matches well....

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You bated me Peter and I just happen to be at the computer.
Here's my first working electric item (with a 12v power supply) Map mirror from an E28 M5. BTW those mirrors are a bitch to get back in. So see my crazy method to hold it tight while I took another block of wood and wacked the other side of it with a big MF hammer. It's in.
I'll have to find my girly calendar and park in appropriate areas for future photos. Ha!

And yes no speaker hole or gauges. I love this beautiful Etimoe veneer I used for the dash. It is one piece and the pattern goes all the way across from L-R including the doors and gauge cluster.

Attachments

• IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1115.jpg
    IMG_1115.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 182

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well done Gary. Sometimes comments are well meaning but often the poster overlooks the fact that that an owner is just trying to create the Coupe they truly want, not one for someone else. Witness the immediate cries to change out an automatic to a 5-speed ASAP. But I do love that "map mirror". I have the same one in my Coupe and it really is an upgrade and I am glad I have it. Carry on! ;)

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
How the factory assembled e9's in quantity - and made money - is a mystery to me. The people installing the dashes & interiors must have gotten very good at it.
Well if I remember correctly, there is a rumour the factory allowed beer at the workbench. Or perhaps this is just a myth, but it could temper the temper of this particular installation.:cool:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well done Gary. Sometimes comments are well meaning but often the poster overlooks the fact that that an owner is just trying to create the Coupe they truly want, not one for someone else. Witness the immediate cries to change out an automatic to a 5-speed ASAP. But I do love that "map mirror". I have the same one in my Coupe and it really is an upgrade and I am glad I have it. Carry on! ;)

Thanks for the support. Notice the lack of comments as probably the pundits that are following moms orders. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. ;)
Yes, I was very excited about the mirror as I own an M5 with one and found a extra way before I bought the coupe.
More special treatments to come later. Get your bag of popcorn.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well if I remember correctly, there is a rumour the factory allowed beer at the workbench. Or perhaps this is just a myth, but it could temper the temper of this particular installation.:cool:

Funny because I said that to another coupe owner friend just a couple days ago that it must have been Oktoberfest when the engineers designed the center console.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well from personal experience i can confirm that at least in 2008 beer was available at car assembly lines in the south of germany, just from vending machines next to your favorite bubbly sugar rush.

Mind you that in those regions low alcohol beers have been staple diet for close to a 1000 years, as it was the only, reliable clean source of fluid available.
The alcohol, often just 1%, was in there just to kill off the bacteria, not to get drunk.

The region of Bavaria now has one of the higgest outputs of patents, could it be linked to a thousands years of carefull 'nutrition'?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I can confirm that this is indeed a fact, not a rumor. I toured the BMW plant in Munich in 1980. Very open tour, just follow the lines on the floor, no guide etc. When walking past the engine construction benches, I noticed every builder had a bottle of beer on the bench with their tools. Didn't see any of that in the paint area, but there were some along the sides of the rather primitive (by TODAY'S standards) chassis assembly line. After leaving the assembly plant, stopped at the parts department and bought a semi-race cam for my '73 e9, and brought it home on the plane as 'carry on'. THOSE WERE THE DAYS when these kind of things could be done - sadly no longer possible.

As a bit of a side note, the US Company where I was employed had very strict safety standards, and the only place on company property where alcohol was allowed was in the hotel restaurants and the company owned country club bar. In the mid '80's, they bought a German company. The sellers would not sign the sales agreement until the US purchasers signed a contract that beer would always be available in that sites lunch cafeteria!

Gary

Last edited: