Which Boot/Trunk Roundel ?

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a definitive answer on what to use on my '74. Part 51141872327 is specified for my car but is now NLA perhaps?. W&N seem to have a couple of options for badges ,but again , which one do I use ? Thanks, Simon

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
...sorry, that part number quoted above does appear on Walloths but it states E3 and E12 ...apparently the curvature of the E3 lid differs from E9. ?...just to confuse matters !

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
...sorry, that part number quoted above does appear on Walloths but it states E3 and E12 ...apparently the curvature of the E3 lid differs from E9. ?...just to confuse matters !
It's those unnecessary differences BMW built into our Coupes vs. Bavarias that drive me crazy.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the "definitive answer" depends on what you are looking for. The original badge had a rubber mounting gasket, a plinth, and an emblem with baked enamel paint. If you are going for original, you need to seek out these parts, and the rubber mount is NLA so you have to make something up (Markos and I started down the path of contracting for a substitute gasket a couple of year back, but did not find a satisfactory supplier.)

BMW offers a one piece replacement that is painted, but not enamel, which incorporates the base and skips the gasket. It looks ok but not as nice as the original. This is what I have on my car now.

shorton540

BMW Cross member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Same question here. In this photo, I don’t know what goes to what, but there are part numbers on the backs. I much prefer the older solid roundels.
A0AF65C3-51BF-4C8E-B887-84DFA628B112.jpeg
60B547DC-E075-4526-BF77-8ECADD21C077.jpeg
I would also like to know of techniques to resurrect the “three dimensional” roundels. Color codes, paint type, brush type, spray, etc.?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gaskets are still in play and will be cast not printed. I’m just now resuming effort thanks to gentle nudging from my buddy @Ives .

I wasn’t aware that the originals were enamel. I suppose it depends on the definition. The originals were painted with glass-like consistency to the face. the letters are raised, and the roundels are made from aluminum.

You want a perfectly round roundel with a removable concave chrome base. I have pics if desired.

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

as far as i can tell that emblem is not usable with the rear curved socket, that one can only be used in the front of the coupe, as it has four more milimeters in diameter than it is required to enter the socket
you can see it ends in a not flat angle

so to use with these sockets and rubbers (pictured below) that i was selling recently, you need the flat ending emblem, 82mm in diameter

9F091D5B-DB51-4A90-A299-F724100BF347.jpeg

edited, as someone asked, sockets not any more, rubbers, plenty available, NOS, perfect fit

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
as far as i can tell that emblem is not usable with the rear curved socket, that one can only be used in the front of the coupe, as it has four more milimeters in diameter than it is required to enter the socket
you can see it ends in a not flat angle

so to use with these sockets and rubbers (pictured below) that i was selling recently, you need the flat ending emblem, 82mm in diameter

View attachment 62040

edited, as someone asked, sockets not any more, rubbers, plenty available, NOS, perfect fit

Yes, that was my recollection as well. Part number ending in 181 is the part that fits into the base.

DeQ -- are you saying there is a source for NOS gaskets?

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
YEP THATS RIGHT I GRINDED MINE DOWN THE MILLIMETER OR SO FOR IT TO FIT
IT HAS ENUFF MATERIAL AT THE EDGE AS TO NOT MAKE IT LOOK MODIFIED
ENDED UP NOT USING IT ILL SEE IF I CAN FIND IT FOR YOU

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Inquiring minds want to know details on that gasket...

Don

My observation is that the original gaskets are round, and due to the curvature is the roundel base they need to be oblong. Perhaps they used to stretch into place but the one that I have and the ones that @sfdon had would not. They are quite off in fact.

I have little interest in making these gaskets but I am proceeding since folks are in need and I’m 75% of the way there. If a stockpile of well fitting originals were discovered that would be great. If anyone has a NOS gasket that fits the oblong pedestal, picture would be beneficial.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos did you end up making the roundel gaskets? Internet still doesn't like finding front or rear gaskets.

Err, it is still a work in progress. My modeler went on a sabbatical but I just got a hold of him earlier this week. I had emailed him asking if he was still doing work. Got back to me after a week and said yes.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
they vary in pricing radically