Why Name your Coupe?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Why do many owners refer and name their coupes as feminines? Other than their sleek lines, what is about them that the majority see them as females?
They are moody, leave their marks wherever they stand, need pampering all the time, often irritable.....attributes more men have then women.
I for one see my Csl as a male, loud, fast and muscular.

Keshav

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Title edited for clarify.

I don’t name my cars. They are just machines and I’m not attached to any of them. Perhaps that will change if I ever have a vehicle nice enough to really care about.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Title edited for clarify. Thanks

I’m attached to my car (in-spite of the sale advert) but wouldn’t give it a name either and certainly not a female name or ‘old girl’ (no offence meant @tferrer) specially for Csl’s.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure. It's just always been this way. A good high-profile example is Vettel always names his cars after women. Perhaps because in many cases, they are moody, high maintenance, cost money, and deliver extreme highs and lows? Many attributes of a lover or girlfriend! No offense taken @Keshav. I just usually name them something. Could be male or female. My etypes name is Deo (the original blue plate tag starts with DEO) and my 7 clone is called the Lilbastard or Caterdamn depending on which of my friends you talk too. On the coupe front, they really aren't that masculine. Relatively quiet, lovely, and graceful. They aren't terribly powerful or really that fast in the grand scheme of things. You can't treat them with disrespect like you can say, an old 911. They tend to thrive on getting lightly abused.

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good high-profile example is Vettel always names his cars after women.

He certainly stopped this year though....... saw that those names didn’t do him much good and maybe offended the cars?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Perhaps because in many cases, they are moody, high maintenance, cost money, and deliver extreme highs and lows? Many attributes of a lover or girlfriend!

Thats sexist in my books, men are no less but pretend women are worse.
Great German saying, ‘Women are the better men‘!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think it may largely be a carry over of ships and boats being referred to in the feminine gender. I don't know why that is, but I think that is pretty widely used. We like to name all of our cars (Raven, Hippo, Gadget, SnoKat, Snow Maker). Not all have been female names over the years.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To me my car has both feminine (looks) and masculine qualities (stance and performance). It doesn’t have an official name but my sister named it Precious because of all the time and attention I give it and I have sometimes thought of naming it Secretariat, the spectacular male thoroughbred of similar vintage because it likes to run long distances at a high rate of speed and taunts me to keep going. Officially it’s just “my car” as everyone in my circle knows what I am referring to.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nope- he has a name for her this year as well. Brundle was interviewing him and he mentioned it in passing. It obviously isn't as widely publicized because of the awful year he and the team are having. Sexist? Not me mate. I think they are great!

He certainly stopped this year though....... saw that those names didn’t do him much good and maybe offended the cars?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It doesn’t have an official name but my sister named it Precious because of all the time and attention I give it...

When I hear the name Precious, all I think of is this:
8C72D6F0-FC1A-4FBA-9930-3C90E7210070.jpeg

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting perspectives here..... I tend to name mine after German swear words that constantly change based on MY mood, marks I've left on it, and/or irritableness.

Steven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think it is from a long line of naming ships, military aircraft, etc, which I imagine goes back centuries if not millennia with vikings, etc. I do think the propensity to name them after females is deep seeded societal misogyny as women have been seen as property or objects by so many (not looking for a political fight or making any accusations of anyone who may have named their cars with female names here).

I've never named any of my cars, but just this week thought it would be a fun nod to name my coupe Bruce, which was the name of the shark in Jaws (as our old BMWs are often referred to as sharks).

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For at least 70 years I've found women to be more attractive than men (guess when I became a teenager). And, I try to only purchase cars that are 'also' attractive to me. The names then in some way relate to something about where they were produced. For example, the '74 e9 was named Lorelei after that fictional lady on the 'rock' on the Rhine that seduced the sailors. To my visual processing unit, the e9 is a seductive machine!

Simple reason, but certainly not 'rational'!!

Gary

Last edited: