Windsheild Washer Pump

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Does the pump run but not pump?
If so, the pump could be broken or the lines clogged; doubtful both would clog. I have heard that the original pumps can be taken apart and repairs sometimes.

If the pump doesn't run you need to look for an electrical problem. The pump could be burned out but usually they'll at least hum when power is applied. The pump power is supposed to come from the wiper motor. Do the wipers work? With the ignition on you should see 12v on both wires at the pump (when plugged in. When unplugged you should see 12v on only one wire. The switch completes the ground circuit.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think it is the motor, or power to the motor. I do not hear a hum.
Wipers work. I have a device that has an alligator clip on a wire so when the clip is used to groung, the metal tip touching live power causes the handle to illuminate. No idea how much power is going to a light or motor, just that power is.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
With the ignition turned on, connect the alligator clip to a ground point and touch each of the wires connected th the pump. You can pull the reservoir out part way to make this easier. It should illuminate on both wires; leave them connected. One wire may produce more light than the other one. If this happens you are getting power which will take the diagnosis to looking at the switch grounding path. If there is no light you'll need to look at the power source. If only one side lights then the pump is probably bad.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
pump power--and old fix that may work

One--it sounds to me that PO's have taken considerable liberties with your Coupe

However--remove fluid container--apply rust blaster to the motor shaft--then reverse the wires on the pump and apply power to reverse the motor--often it will break loose--my old German MM showed me this trick years ago--often the problem is a case of non-use and the shaft of the motor will have a build-up of corrosion that may break loose

Are you driving your Coupe in the rain--if so start saving money for the repair of the corrosion or accident damage to follow.

IMHO--based on 36 years of care--not so good in the early days but better since--and 1/2 million seat miles driving these cars it has become abundantly clear to me that these are cars to be driven in good weather only--unless you have a beater car with no hope for the future

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Driving in the Rain

I live in New England. Nobody can predict the weather here. I have been to 3 car shows when the weather was supposed to be fine and had to drive home in the rain.

Two years ago I swore I would only drive on good days, if in doubt, leave her parked. I drove her twice that year.....

You can appreciate my predicament

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Having power to the motor is likely case; it is normally powered and the switch completed the circuit to ground. If you remove the wires your tool should show power on only one wire (source of power coming from wipers). You should plug this wire back into the motor and try shorting the other motor connector to ground (just set the other wire aside. If the pump does not run the pump is broken. Otherwise your switch or switch wiring is broken.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Washer pumps

If you have an "original" style pump, they have been notorious since the cars were new for getting clogged up with washer fluid residue. It has been a long time since I have done it, but as I recall, it is easy to disassemble the pump and clean it so the pump parts move freely.