windshield seal update

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you saw my earlier post, I bought an e12 seal with the hopes that I could make it work. Frustratingly, no. the bottom corners are okay but the top corners are too tight radius. the e12 has a more gradual curve and the seal will not sit in without pinching so much that you can't get the sides to seat.

I'm pissed, bummed, and I'm just about to give up and part out the car. If I can't move forward, then there's no use doing more work to it.

Bwana

Reaction score
It could get expensive but what about a mix and match solution? I know you can butt glue the ends of the gaskets pretty well with neoprene adhesive so I'm thinking the bottom of one gasket glued, say halfway up the A pillar to an upper, different gasket? Probably the solution I'll go for when I get to it

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I e-mailed the mobile traditions guy about the run they were supposed to be producing this month. I realized it's for a "european e3" and nobody knows what trim it will take or whatever but at least it should fit the glass/opening, so there might be a kluge from there, better than parting out a driveable car! Let you know what I hear back.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
FYI... W&N magically came up with about 10 more of them this week. I'm mad, but I ordered one.

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm going to assume since it's listed for the 3.0L+3.3 Li that this requires the fatter bottom chrome trim, but let us know for sure when you get it. This must be from the new run, hopefully.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What worries me with five or six different part numbers for this seal is the profile where it mounts, see the photo of 5 and 6. Post a pic when it arrives compared to your old seal.

73D7E809-5B3D-4D49-A096-B3C5DF70BCB4.jpeg

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
fyi, that pic you posted is the side and bottom profiles. I dont have my old seal because it came out of my car in chunks like old pavement. but I remember that the profile along the bottom had that exact depth as in #6, it actually covers the screws that hold the dash down. The side and top profiles look just like #5.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So I’m trying to see the difference of the
“early” seal vs the “later” seal.
The pic below shows the seal & trim I removed from the 73 parts car next to the seal in my 74.

The obvious difference is the lower section of the 73 seal is wider. You can see in the pic that the exposed rubber of the lower seal on either side of the trim is wider than the 74 seal.

The sides and the top of both seals appear to be the same.

Is this the difference between early and later seals?
ECD591C7-D38F-492D-9E70-9757F0C3ECA6.jpeg

9602FE02-CCB5-4434-9C45-9F91CE817358.jpeg

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The lower trim in the pre 74 seal is 1” tall, later seal is at least 2” tall so gap in rubber is much wider.

Thanks Chris. I get it.
So, is it just the lower windshield trim that’s wider while the sides
are same as early?

Dowst

Reaction score
Please let us know how this goes.

My windshield has had a small chip since I put the car back on the road after 30 years of sitting with a cracked head. Just this year, the crack has grown in length and now in fogging out in that area. I really need a solution, but am no way going to pull the windshield without a certain solution for sealing.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I posted a wtb in the parts forum and got a couple responses but ended up finding a new one

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I went up to see Peter and Erik this morning at Coupeking, Peter has five or six early e3 front windshield rubbers. All are pliable and have the original wax coating on them, I bought one for our 2800 for $300. He might have one later style too, I would love to see a pic of the new Walloth seal in the lower corner only to compare, it seemed to have a different shape in that one spot. Send Peter an e-mail. [email protected]

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris - just ordered one, thanks for the heads up, oddly I had contacted them last year about these but they didn't have them, must have found a stash since.