Winter jobs!

Simufly

Reaction score
The list of winter jobs is going up. Today we have an oil leak, looks like its from the oil pressure switch. The brake master cylinder needs a rebuild as does the clutch master.
Deep joy.
It is lucky that I have a seperate oil pressure guage as the oil light came on whilst driving home leaving a small oil slick in my wake. Oh the embarrassment.

coupelady

Reaction score
Yes some winter time clean ups! I also have brake fluid escaping from the reservoir. Some work was done on the master cylinder (seals). I defer to a professional to do my mechanical work so I try and be on top of things so Das Coupe can be driven at my wim.

I have always wondered, if the oil light did come on whilst driving, how much time do you have to get someplace to shut the car off. What's your opinion?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Not much i'm afraid , without oil pressure everything is turning metal on metal.... mostly , when you see it , it' s already to late.
My rally shop ruined a engine due a remote oil filter blowing out the O-ring gasket … at high rev's ….:eek:

Simufly

Reaction score
Yes some winter time clean ups! I also have brake fluid escaping from the reservoir. Some work was done on the master cylinder (seals). I defer to a professional to do my mechanical work so I try and be on top of things so Das Coupe can be driven at my wim.

I have always wondered, if the oil light did come on whilst driving, how much time do you have to get someplace to shut the car off. What's your opinion?[/
IIRC it is mentioned in the handbook.
if I was without a guage and the oil pressure light came on my actions would be to drop the clutch go to neutral and stop as soon as possible. As has been stated above driving any distance with the light on is a very bad idea.
It could be considered to switch off the ignition but that would of course leave you without power steering. They are very difficult, but not impossible, to drive without PS. I know as I lost a PS drive belt several years ago.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Winter jobs list, here is mine.
Over inflate the tyres
Fill the fuel tank
Good clean and wax polish the entire car inc chrome
Vacume the inside
Corks under the wiper arm to protect the wiper blade. Never achieved this so far
Trickle charger fitted, welll repaired then fitted.
Most important of all, when the weather is right, take it out for a drive and then do the above all over again.

The list is easy, doing it is more difficult.