winter tinkering

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
seems a bit excessive to call this a Project or a Restoration, but there are a few things on my car I'll be working on over the next few months. In the UK we salt the roads in the winter so driving a car as rust-prone as an E9 doesn't make a lot of sense, so an excuse to pull bits of it to bits
:)
clutch hydraulics rebuild
headlights re-wiring and a swap to Cibie CSRs
windscreen washer jets refurb
door shutting, improvement required here
re-build the locks so they all lock on one key
one non-op rear electric window
fuel smells

and I'll add stuff as I find more to fix, happy days!

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
a few questions to start off with:
what is the factory routing for the washer jets pipe through the engine bay, nose cone, and into the bonnet? These three piccies show the current routing, which seems a big long and complicated to my eye
IMG_2300.JPG IMG_2301.JPG IMG_2302.JPG

and whilst in the same area, what is this relay for? It is tucked underneath the air intake to the airbox
IMG_2303.JPG IMG_2306.JPG

and what is this wire, and why is it disconnected? (it looks to be an earth for the condenser)
IMG_2307.JPG

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The first relay is part of the a/c electrical system. It supplies the auxiliary fan in front of the radiator (subject to the fan switch) and the magnetic clutch on the a/c compressor (subject to both the fan switch and the temp switch).

I don't have the second control box in my car, but from the wiring diagram it looks like it may function to bypass the primary resistor when starting the car.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cool, that's interesting info, thanks

My car does not have aircon, but it does have an aux fan, which (I assume) was a mod as the normal pulley driven fan has been removed. Need to test how this all works, and where the coolant temp sensor is, how it's wired, etc

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_1619.JPG IMG_1620.JPG IMG_1622.JPG IMG_1624.JPG IMG_1629.JPG

Just some piccies of progress. So far I have replaced the clutch master due to bad leakage, and the flexi to the clutch slave cylinder, then and put low beam relays and a new headlight loom in, plus a set of Cibie CSR lights.

Then bled through the hydraulics for brakes and clutch

Still to do is sort out the washers and track the fuel smell

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
12 39 is a ratio of 3.25
S is limited slip diff
Interesting - I've been wondering how to identify the final drive for a while now. Can't wait to get under my car to find these markings!!! Thanks for posting the pic.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
See post from HB Chris, I got my info from this.
Thanks for the link. I'd read "most" of that thread quite a while ago. Evidently I glossed over the part with Chris' diff numbers. I'll be under the car this Thursday - can't wait to see what I find (I learn something new every time I look at this car)...