Wiper arm locking tab repair

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I noticed today that one of the locking tabs has snapped off at the end where it right-angles into the post. Not wanting to lose the wiper during one of my high speed Starbucks runs, I considered repair options.

IMG_0343.JPG

I realized the remaining tab now resembled an electrical spade connector so I grabbed a corresponding female size from the parts bin and bent the handle 90 degrees and tried it on for size, sure enough, we have possibilities here:

IMG_0344.JPG

I trimmed the tab portion to length, beveled the edge with a Dremel to match the radius mounting post, tightened the grippers for better holding strength and pressed it on, it fit tightly, I was going to add some epoxy down there but it's not needed:

IMG_0345.JPG

Remounted and now secure with a reassuring click.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,

tell me that you didn't find this out when looking at the wiper blades today to tell me what kind that you put in the wiper arms. i would feel bad if it broke while you were looking.

scott

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No, a blessing in disguise, after checking the blade I pulled it off to check a previous repair and noticed it. And it is actually more secure now. So I owe you one!

Steve,

tell me that you didn't find this out when looking at the wiper blades today to tell me what kind that you put in the wiper arms. i would feel bad if it broke while you were looking.

scott

Last edited:

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there!

Old thread, I know but I'm stuck with a similar problem.
My wiper arm locking tab also snapped off but at the bottom, so there is no tab at all. The tab is lost.
Glue a L-shaped metal piece to the bottom that act as a snap? I'm not convinced it will hold.
Any better idea how to repair it?

Thanks!

Wiper_arm.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
JB weld should hold. Others have added a small set screw to the side of the arm that isn’t visible when installed.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you JB Weld, I would drill a hole through the replacement piece at the base so the glue can meet from both sides. Also, perhaps some small cavities drilled into each side of the wiper base so that the glue can spread in and lock it in.