Wiper motor fault? and attn. Malc

Dave B

Reaction score
Folks,

I have a wiper problem. Power is ok, switch is ok, blades sweep, and motor is turning but motor and blades stop at the same point. I can push the blade past the sticking point and it wipes, comes back and sticks at the same point again.

I am thinking the wiper motor is goosed. ( No shit Sherlock ! )

Never been inside it but am imagining teeth stripped from something? Please bear in mind - I am not at all mechanic-ky!

Is this an easy thing to fix / replace?

Malc - Do you know if there is a useable motor in the parts car you have out the back? Can I do you a favour and take it away piece by piece? Mrs Malc did say she wants you to get rid of the scrap out back!!! :lol:

Malc

Reaction score
Dave,
You would be surprised..... scrap around the back has dissappeared! though the parts car is still there!

Sounds like the "points", which is basically a switch operated by a cam for the wiper park is either worn or dirty. Sounds like you have checked all the other stuff
Getting the motor out is relatively easy, makes a change for BMW, and I think it's the same as a 2002 motor of which I have one or two in stock!
Failing that we can always take it out of the parts car (I think it's still there) I need to unwrap it anyway to get one or two things and if it isn't you can have mine as I won't be needing one for a while....

Tell you what, Ill have a rummage in the GUS/MPE tomorrow (Tuesday) and see what I can find. I will give you a bell at home ok?
Cheers
Malc

And for those who are wondering
GUS= Great Universal Stores, from my dad when he worked in a shipyard and you could get anything!

MPE=Malcs Parts Emphorium - probably got it, but where, that's the question!

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a problem with mine where the motor would slow down and stop. I took it apart and found that there were magnets attached to the inside of the housing and a coating of rust particles on the magnets. I cleaned them up and re-assembled it and worked fine. One other thing that I found is that there was a different crank arm of one motor that I had previously replaced; so if you do need to swap it out you might need to use the old arm. I also checked what other models that motor would fit and it looks like the E3 is the only other that would fit.

Dave B

Reaction score
Wiper woes

Gents,

Thanks for advice.

Malc - I will be away from home most of the day. I have a quarterly Regional Technical meeting tomorrow ( oh the joys! ) but that may be followed by a game of golf somewhere - weather permitting.

Please feel free to leave a message on my home number, or give me a call anytime on 07970 561501.

My MOT is due this weekend - expires Sunday, so I was hoping to solve the wiper problem, and change the bits you suggested ( dizzy cap, rotor arm, condenser, points, plus plugs and plug leads, oil, oil filter, and air filter this week.

Malc

Reaction score
Dave,
No worries
1st...MOT even if it has expired as long as you have it booked into a testing station, even after expiry, you should be ok to drive it from home to the test station and back if required :wink:

2nd...I am busy on Wednesday after work, there is a meeting for the organisation of the NE Scotland classic car rally in October, but if required THursday/Friday evening are clear. After that it all gets hazy as I may have to go offshore :roll:
Tilla mentioned a problem he had, which is possible, plus motors not being compatable However I suggest a swap of motors so you can get through your MOT and we will worry about sorting the duff one later.

3rd.... Bit of a distance for a service but if you feel like burning the midnight oil we could have a go...numerous cups of tea provided... before the weekend!

Sound like a plan?
Malc

Dave B

Reaction score
Malc

Hi Malc,

Friday is a no-go for me. It's our Wedding Anniversary! Mrs Dave has made plans to offload kids to Grannies and have a weekend to ourselves. Nice meal, etc.

Thursday evening would suit me - if you are sure you dont mind me coming up and pestering you like this?! :oops:

I will try and pick up all the bits I need for a mini service in Dundee tomorrow. I have taken Friday off work, and dont mind an evening stint on Thursday night.

I can bring copious amounts of coffee, chocolate, snacks etc. Can even bring a drop of the hard stuff for you ( name your poison ) but I'll be driving back, so soft drinks only for me!!

Malc

Reaction score
Dave,
Thursday will work.
I may, no, make that will, have to tidy the shed up and dig out a wiper motor for you, but hopefully the meeting on Wed night won't last that long and I can do it later on
Tonight things got away from me.... the exhaust fell off my Saab :roll:
and I finally had to fit a new one, a job I had been putting off ....

Only joking about cups of tea, just turn up and we will get stuck in, your priority is keeping Mrs Dave happy on Friday :p

I'll give you a bell on Wednesday evening to flange stuff up or if I forget please call me!

Malc