Wipers: Mechanical and Electrical

gte619n

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Since I got the coupe last year I've had issues with the wipers. The main problems are that I don't have any wiper arms and that the fuse blows out every time I turn them on.

Mechanical

Searching for wiper arms has not been good. They do pop up from time to time but they're expensive and it seems like the tabs are not in confidence instilling shape. That, combined with the really worn condition of the spindles, has me searching for alternatives. My current idea is to pull out the armature and have a machine shop cut new spindles to match an E24 wiper. Has anyone attempted this conversion? Can you guys think of any reason why this wouldn't go well?

Electrical

Honestly, I'm not even sure how to attack this problem. When I push in the stalk, nothing happens. When I pull up on the speed switch in the console, occasionally the wipers start moving but usually the fuse pops.

I have replaced the interval relay under the dash with no effect. It was missing it's ground wire as well and after adding that, still no effect. Physically, could someone let me know where these wires are supposed to be going? I can't even really find the wiring loom from the speed switch under my dash, as everything is a disaster due to "stereo/anti-theft" additions that I've been pulling out.

Any advice on how to even begin chasing this issue?

Thanks!

E

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
As far as the splines go, the splined collar can be removed from the post. I recently sold my linkages to a board member because his shop somehow removed the splined collar. This means that one should be able to machine a new collar and add it to the original post.

If you don't mind the condition, this guy has a full setup for sale. The price seems about right, $150 for linkages and motor. Plus you get a set of wipers. You can repaint them and have wipers while you look for a chrome or stainless set.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/5554177008.html

gte619n

Reaction score
Markos, thanks for the link! I'm jumping right on that. I bet between my unit and this Raleigh one, I can get a working setup!

Out of curiosity, how did you find this? Are you local to Raleigh or do you have some sort of incredible Craigslist skills that I don't even know about?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, thanks for the link! I'm jumping right on that. I bet between my unit and this Raleigh one, I can get a working setup!

Great news!

Out of curiosity, how did you find this? Are you local to Raleigh or do you have some sort of incredible Craigslist skills that I don't even know about?

I live in Seattle, but search for parts frequently. Initially it was to find parts for myself but I have most of the non-rubber parts that I need at this point. I still keep tabs on craigslist to help out forum members. I'm an internet power user. :D

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As a warning
Never put the electrical plug back on the wiper motor with the battery connected.
Never never never
I know of 3 people who's hands had to be freed by force from the blower shroud.
Lots of stitches.....

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
As a warning
Never put the electrical plug back on the wiper motor with the battery connected.
Never never never
I know of 3 people who's hands had to be freed by force from the blower shroud.
Lots of stitches.....

Yikes. :shock: Excellent suggestion!

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good practice is to remove the wiper arms before powering up the system. Let the motors cycle and come to a stop. Then you can reinstall the wiper arms.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keep your hands clear of the motor mechanism whenever battery is connected.

Edit: Oops, just saw Don's post...

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A pencil a piece of paper and a volt meter.
Start at beginning and go the end.
Fuse 6
What color?

gte619n

Reaction score
Hey Don,

I believe it was a red one when I first started. Is that correct?

Also, when it shorts, it takes out the blinkers, headlights, driving lights, tail lights, 3rd brake light, etc.

Is that correct or did the PO change some things around to accommodate the L Jet conversion?

Thanks!

gte619n

Reaction score
Hazard Switch

So I've made some progress this weekend. I'm becoming skeptical of my hazard switch, as a number of my inconsistencies seem to run through that switch. I was hoping someone could give me some information about the hazard wiring.

It appears that the wipers, brake lights and blinkers are all routed through the hazard switch. Could someone explain why this is? Additionally, I noticed in the pictures of the switch, there's a resistor running across the pins (see pic).

My switch does not have that resistor. What is that resistor, is it necessary, and does anyone know the ohm value?

Thanks!

E

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 84

gte619n

Reaction score
Unidentified Wires

Hey Fellas,

I have two unidentified wire sets that I was hoping you could help me identify. These both appear to be in factory wiring harnesses and were located on the right side of the steering column.

Mystery Loom A:
attachment.php

Mystery Loom B:
attachment.php

ALSO, could someone tell me where the hazard relay is supposed to live? Currently he just hangs out under the dash with his hood friends without direction or positive role models.

Thanks,

E

Attachments

• IMG_20160508_185157.jpg
    IMG_20160508_185157.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20160508_185424.jpg
    IMG_20160508_185424.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_20160508_185141.jpg
    IMG_20160508_185141.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 220

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What year is your coupe? Early coupes had the Hazard switch under the dash on the right side of steering column. Later coupes on rash rail right of column. Early cars say 69 on the switch, later cars say 72 and they have a resistor, they are not interchangeable! That green terminal has been added by a prior owner.

It really helps if your coupe year and model is in your signature, also, it's nice to have a name to reply to.

Chris

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just clip my hazard relay onto one of the dash support arms near the steering column.

gte619n

Reaction score
Hey guys, I added the info to my sig. Should've done it sooner but I registered before I had actually acquired a coupe. The car is also a euro car, so it has the silly rear fog light.

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
I was hurt by my wiper motor as well

I'm late to the party, but add me to the list of people who's hand was pinned to the sharp metal on the cowl when I plugged in the wiper plug and the armature swing around. Not something to be treated lightly.