Wire ID

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can anyone ID this plastic, circular connector? It caps off a wire that comes from under the distributor; the shortest plug wire from the cap passes through it...

Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 134

Honolulu

Reaction score
I know that one...

It's the inductive pickup on the spark plug lead. It went to a capped (orange?) diagnostic plug somewhere under the hood, I forget where. Back in the day, BMW had a electronic diagnostic machine that would read various parameters (on a running engine, I suppose).

Surprising that it's still there. I suppose you have the original plug wires, or an exact replacement set.

You can, with some caution, remove the diagnostic wiring and the plug, since the diagnostic machines have probably all gone to the recycler long ago. One must be careful because at least on the 2002 I had, removing the wiring also disabled the ignition. Once this is realized, it can be done, and cleans up the underhood area somewhat.

IIRC if one knows the diagnostic routing, there is a use for it, possibly as a remote starter, my memory is a little fuzzy about this.

Alternatively the purist cleans and reorganizes the wires, burns some incense, sacrifices a small animal, and so on.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, the plug wires are original, although I'm replacing them along with the plastic tube they run through.

I think I fall into the "clean and recognize" category, because that's what I'm going to do with the diagnostic wire. Its already been disconnected, but it still runs through the plastic tube...

scanty

Reaction score
I'd have to look again. But I believe the Orange Capped diagnostic pug is on the drivers side of the engine bay, just North of the Brake fluid and South of a set of Relays.