Wire source

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, I have just been repairing a section of my favourite wire in all of the loom, the black with those red rings about every 1.5 cm, by the ignition coil area, and got to wondering if this wire is available new anywhere? I mean, what do you do when you have to splice in a section because of a nick or some corrosion at the terminal? I had to go with some new black, but would have preferred joining in the same colour coded section. Ideas? Thanks.
SAM_4306.JPG

stphers

Reaction score
Hi Mike
I was looking into this as well, I did find a place that does different color coding on the wires. I was at the PICO warehouse last year and asked them about color coded wire with more than one color. What they said was that used to have this special little paint machine that would do exactly that, paint a different color tracer on wire but they got rid of the machine because no one knew how to use it. The fellow that used to do it retired and no one was taught how, probably because of the time cost. I will do some digging around through all my notes and see who has 2 color wire now and let you know

Thanks, Rick

Paul Wegweiser

Reaction score
Try contacting "Rhode Island Wiring". They may have bulk quantities of exactly what you seek. I've installed their wiring harnesses on some pretty rare beasts and they were absolutely flawless. Not cheap...but high quality and cater to specialized detail nuts like us.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mike
I was looking into this as well, I did find a place that does different color coding on the wires. I was at the PICO warehouse last year and asked them about color coded wire with more than one color. What they said was that used to have this special little paint machine that would do exactly that, paint a different color tracer on wire but they got rid of the machine because no one knew how to use it. The fellow that used to do it retired and no one was taught how, probably because of the time cost. I will do some digging around through all my notes and see who has 2 color wire now and let you know

Thanks, Rick
Thank Rick. It will be very interesting to see what you can discover. Mike

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think generic black wire, some masking tape and a rattle can of red Rustoleum would be your simplest solution.
Yes, I have thought of that. But will surely have to keep the shop door closed for that one, I mean hand painting red rings on a section of black wire? Sure to create even more "eye rolling" than when seen cleaning a years worth of grime from the Coupe undercarriage :D

stphers

Reaction score
Jay, that would work well with Alfa wiring ( I know, I have a 69 Spider ) but BMW wire mostly is not spiral but 2 colors running side by side ( makes sense ? ) I have sometimes when I need just a little bit done used permanent markers ( bought a whole set of different colors ) put one end in a vice, pull on it and run the marker along it and then let it dry and it works but would not want to do yards of it.

jmackro

Reaction score
Jay, that would work well with Alfa wiring ( I know, I have a 69 Spider ) but BMW wire mostly is not spiral but 2 colors running side by side

Well yes, I was speaking metaphorically. Sure BMW's = rings or stripes, Alfas = spirals, but the concept is the same: start with black wire, mask off what you don't want painted, spray what you do, peel off tape, ... Admittedly, the tape & paint method works better for rings or spirals. Your permanent marker solution seems better for stripes.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve purchased a fair amount of wire from those guys, 4Rcustomswire through their Ebay store. The GXL wire they sell is of very high quality with insulation (nearly fireproof) of very high quality such as OEMs use. They are very flexible with lengths and have an amazing variety of sizes and types.