Bump steer spacers for lowered cars?

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I never did as not enough interest was shown and I didn't want to start on it and have the money tied up in them laying on my shelf. maybe in the next several months I will offer it up again and see where it goes.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m game for a set. I don’t plan to go all that low but maybe I’ll go just low enough to get my arms horizontal. Can we specify the height of the spacer?

@Bert Poliakoff
Have you heard of any interest in these lately? I'm still looking for a set.
Don't know if @Markos and @2275xxx still are in, maybe someone else want to jump in so we could reach the minimum of 6 sets?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i might be interested in a set, and there is plenty of people here that can make them, i do not think they will require a minimum number of parts for doing a run, but have no idea about prices
bad moment for requesting the job, it is pre-xmas time
26 mm would be the required high ?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
i might be interested in a set, and there is plenty of people here that can make them, i do not think they will require a minimum number of parts for doing a run, but have no idea about prices
bad moment for requesting the job, it is pre-xmas time
26 mm would be the required high ?

Agree, bad timing with christmas coming, but I didn't mean it would have to happen next week, or even over the next months.
Any timeline would work for me as long as we have a timeline, I've kept my eyes open for a used set these last 9 months but haven't been able to find anything, that's why I bumped this thread.

About the spacer size, the spacer should be sized accordingly to how much you've lowered your car. But at the same time I wouldn't put a 40mm spacer to compensate for my -40mm springs, and any size spacer would be better than none at all. I'm aiming for 25-30mm but I need to take some measurements on the car before I decide.

This is the critical point, but I'm not sure if it actually is critical yet since I haven't measured/looked at it on the car.

Untitled1.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree, bad timing with christmas coming, but I didn't mean it would have to happen next week, or even over the next months.
Any timeline would work for me as long as we have a timeline, I've kept my eyes open for a used set these last 9 months but haven't been able to find anything, that's why I bumped this thread.

About the spacer size, the spacer should be sized accordingly to how much you've lowered your car. But at the same time I wouldn't put a 40mm spacer to compensate for my -40mm springs, and any size spacer would be better than none at all. I'm aiming for 25-30mm but I need to take some measurements on the car before I decide.

This is the critical point, but I'm not sure if it actually is critical yet since I haven't measured/looked at it on the car.

View attachment 83277

ok,

lets see,
my CN springs would need 25mm

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I realized recently that the 1/2 inch spacers I have from AKG came with M10 bolts, but my struts are M8. I'll have to work out a sleeve to continue using my M8 bolts through the M10 hole in the spacer

Does anyone know when the change from M8 to M10 at the bottom of the strut occurred? Assuming my struts are original, it's an early US 2800CS.

Regarding the max size of spacer it's dependent on the wheel diameter. With my 14's I don't have nearly the space Gransin shows above, I am assuming those are 16's.

With 14's I could possibly get a full inch spacer in there but no more.

2275xxx

Reaction score
Hello,
If thick spacers are available (anything between 25-35mm), I would be interested in two sets.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
once you have the dimensions , it seems very easy to make those on a CNC ….. also the outer contour could be milled.( If even needed to follow that shape , don't know )
Think most who made them are restricted by what thickness they can laser or water cut to have directly that contour shape. The rest is just plain drilling and milling the tongue and groove.

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Hey guys
I thought I’d ask a pro.
I emailed Jay at Ground Control , here is his response...
My question...

I’ve been thinking about installing some spacers on my coupe to help bump steer. I’m just not sure about the thickness of the spacer. I’m sure it has to do with how low the car is lowered.
Can you help me out? No one makes them for e9s. There are quite a few guys on the e9coupe board that are interested. If you need I can bring my coupe up to your place.

Jays response ...

It doesn't change the bump steer.

Wishful thinking stolen from the Datsun guys from 40 years ago.

It just moves a bad bump steer curve into a different part of the bad bump steer curve.

Now, the theory is that, one little part of the curve is better than another, which it may be, but those spacers are very very far from curing bumpsteer.

the only way to actually correct bumpsteer, is to correct the lengths of the arms, and the angles of each arm.

Hopefully this helps

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you guys are interested in these I'm more than willing to get them machined as we have cnc capabilities. Would machine them out of 6082 t6 as its a stronger material that is easier to machine. Custom thicknesses, bolt hole diameters and spacers could also be done and wouldn't require a minimum order for any forum members. I'll get started on CAD this week.

Last edited:

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Few bits we recently did, 6082 weber adaptor and a custom sized roll cage clamp.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191217_181030.jpg
    Screenshot_20191217_181030.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot_20191217_181014.jpg
    Screenshot_20191217_181014.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 147

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey guys
I thought I’d ask a pro.
I emailed Jay at Ground Control , here is his response...
My question...

I’ve been thinking about installing some spacers on my coupe to help bump steer. I’m just not sure about the thickness of the spacer. I’m sure it has to do with how low the car is lowered.
Can you help me out? No one makes them for e9s. There are quite a few guys on the e9coupe board that are interested. If you need I can bring my coupe up to your place.

Jays response ...

It doesn't change the bump steer.

Wishful thinking stolen from the Datsun guys from 40 years ago.

It just moves a bad bump steer curve into a different part of the bad bump steer curve.

Now, the theory is that, one little part of the curve is better than another, which it may be, but those spacers are very very far from curing bumpsteer.

the only way to actually correct bumpsteer, is to correct the lengths of the arms, and the angles of each arm.

Hopefully this helps

Thanks for the input Barry!
As I previously said, I haven't driven an e9 at stock height, so I don't know how much bump steer it has when the steering linkages and control arms are at intended (stock) level.
What I do know, is that the bump steer at -40mm is mild but irritating, and I can't see an original e9 would have that kind of bump steer but who knows.
Old Porsches can become horrible to drive after lowering, and that's why they put in spacers for their steering racks, to get the steering geometry back closer to stock.

If you guys are interested in these I'm more than willing to get them machined as we have cnc capabilities. Would machine them out of 6082 t6 as its a stronger material that is easier to machine. Custom thicknesses, bolt hole diameters and spacers could also be done and wouldn't require a minimum order for any forum members. I'll get started on CAD this week.

I'm in if the price is reasonable! ;) And thanks!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was looking at RealOEM in connection with the possibility of selling an extra tension strut I have laying around the garage and I noticed that BMW made two different tension strut/wishbone combinations for our cars. When I saw this, I was reminded about Barry's discussion with Ground Control (above). I'm no expert on suspension geometry, but based on the Ground Control guy's comments, it seems to me that one of these combinations should be preferable for a lowered e9 in terms of the bump steer problem that is the subject of this thread.

I'm not chasing this particular issue right now (I have other stuff I need to fix), but thought I would post this in case folks here want to consider an alternative sized setup and see if it addresses the problem.

1577730611077.png

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm still searching for a pair of spacers.

Been in contact with AKG motorsports a couple of times through the years, their spacer has been listed as out of stock since 2018 and a month ago they said that they won't ever make more of these, and they don't want to sell their CAD file either.