Women owned cars.....

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I notice every time I am in the market for a used car many used car dealers and private sellers advertise a car as women or old lady owned as that is supposed to be a positive and make me want the car more. I have never figured out the logic behind it. Men are more likely to change the oil and service the car much more often, they will notice small issues and repair way before a woman will notice. To me a women owned car means the oil was only changed when the low oil light went on, maintanance was done once the check engine light went on, brakes were replaced once there was metal to metal contact and ect. This is not a chauvinist point of view, I have many friends who are in the auto repair industry that confirm my views. Personally I stay away from a woman owned car. What are your thoughts???? I am curious if others feel differently and prefer women owned cars.

G-Man

Reaction score
My girlfriend will notice every drop of oil that leaks out and leaves a drop on the driveway and will let me know right away. She notices every strange sound and lets me know that something doesn't sound right. I taught my daughters to check fluid levels under the hood and their friends are amazed they know where to add water, etc.. under the hood. Think about it, on a new BMW, you can't even check the oil manually, no more dipstick. So what's the point of opening the hood to most owners. When you do have to change the oil, the dealer will top off any fluids under the hood. I gave my daughters old school BMW'S (E30's) with a stickshift and they love them. I would say my girlfriend and daughters are the exception. My ex would treat a car as an appliance. As long as the key turned the car over for her and it ran, who needs maintenance....

G-Man

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
I think the idea is with a women driver you’re not getting a macho half wit guy doing burnouts or racing you’re potential next car :eek: but I somewhat agree with the maintenance issues. The reason I say “I somewhat agree” is because there’s an awful lot of guys out there that don’t know poop about cars --- not in a group like this where most people are enthusiasts & interested in cars but believe me the “hands on people” that can actually do something / anything on a vehicle are less & less every day. Even though I have worked on cars all my life sadly I feel less competent every day :oops: with all this new computer stuff. ~ John Buchtenkirch

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree with todays vehicles they have the dummy computer that tells you when to change the oil, when to take the car in for service and ect. My point was on older cars where you don't have a talking computer telling you it's time for an oil change or when the 10k mile service is due. Again, I absolutely agree there are exceptions to the rule as my sister in law probably takes better care of her car than I do and that means alot as I am anal about how I treat my cars. My observation was more of a general point of view.

mario1017

Reaction score
little old lady cars

in the us, we hear "it was owned by a little old lady who drove it to church and back and to the grocery store"
these are the worst cars!!! (generally)
I have been in the car business my whole life, i'm a typical "car guy"

Whenever I would take a trade in that fits this description, it usually would be the worst car, cause it wasn't driven enough, or it was driven very easily.

The first guy to take it out and hoon it would usually lose brakes due to a rusted brake line!!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am in the same camp as Gordon, my wife can change her own oil and actually prefers that she do it. And she isn't relying on any idiot lights either, there are women out there like my wife but they might be a bit harder to find.

bmw art car

Reaction score
in the car detailing biz you get to see a lot of different cars
and most women driver i've encountered don't give a hoot about
their vehicles.
a woman driven car to me means... red flag.
as far as maintenance is concerned.
just my 0.2

Canum

Reaction score
And wouldn't it be ironic if a woman who-- dodged the shopping cars, didn't let her kids make a mess in the car, knew how to change oil and do other maintenance and even did her own detailing-- was on this forum? Well, I think she'd be the only one in the world, wouldn't she?

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
That would actually be pretty cool if they were women in this forum that were BMW fanatics like the rest of us. I am sure we have some.

bmw art car

Reaction score
That would actually be pretty cool if they were women in this forum that were BMW fanatics like the rest of us. I am sure we have some.

women on a forum usually stay quiet about their gender.
If they would mention it. they'd be flooded with childish posts and remarks... it's that way on every forum.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
IMHO women owners of E-9's are a rare breed

In my nearly 39 years of E-9 ownership have only met 2 or 3 women owners, one being a former spouse after we were engaged. A real car gal--she bought the first E-9 I had tried to buy from a neighbor of mine in Corona Del Mar, CA in late 1971, but failed due to the price he was asking. Her purchase of that same E-9 came about after it was again located, then in the hands of a local German BMW Dealer, known as Saddleback BMW in Mission Viejo, CA around 1980.

After we parted in 1988 she sold the car to a private party and I have no knowledge of its whereabouts, or even if it still exists.

On the other hand--over the years I have had many women admirers of the BLUMAX--usually due to its color eliciting their favorabe comment.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think you can generalize with any group of people. How many of you have seen the "young" female drivers that are probably the most dangerous on the road? Texting, talking on the phone, putting on makeup, or just plain following too close because they don't have a clue about speed and distance? Oh yeah, I forgot about talking with the other girls in the car. "Young" guys? Drive more aggressive, sometimes faster, but I would bet that most of them are paying more attention then their female counterparts. Older women, or maybe more "mature" women, are typically much better with the speed and distance thing and for the most part seem to pay attention better, even to the maintenance stuff.

I just bought a 2003 Toyota Avalon with 48k miles on it at an insurance auction and had it fixed for my brother. He found a christmas CD in the CD player, which tells you all you need to know about the previous owner. The car is like new inside, and now outside. :mrgreen:

Dan

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I just bought a 2003 Toyota Avalon with 48k miles on it at an insurance auction and had it fixed for my brother. He found a christmas CD in the CD player, which tells you all you need to know about the previous owner. The car is like new inside, and now outside. :mrgreen:

Dan

That is where I left it! I looked all over the house for my christmas CD. Can I send you a SASE and get it back?

PS: I used Armor All to preserve the interior.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree with Dang, especially about the young women(the PC term) who seem to attach their bumpers to my bumper when I am only going 10 mph over the limit. I feel like my third brake light really says, "please tailgate." They are usually driving Mustangs, Cobalts or some small Dodge product.

I had a young woman in one of my classes who admitted she tailgated but was furious when someone did it to her. Love the logic.

Steve

bmw art car

Reaction score
my windscreen washer keep people at a distance

... and it works over and over again. and because i use rainx one the windshield
it flies right over :)
it's my favorite trick to put some space between me and the tail gator

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
On the other hand--over the years I have had many women admirers of the BLUMAX--usually due to its color eliciting their favorabe comment.

i can not ressist to comment this

i am really worried about the fact that no woman of my age (42) or younger is interested in my car, i am always looking through the mirrors when i pass them on the street, sadly i can always see the same indiference, but,.... things can become worse,...always

the other day, after a sunny ride over the mountains, until the seaside, and back home again, i stopped in the red lights to allow an old lady pass the street

she was an elegant old lady, 87 i guess, well dressed, her hair beautifully done,..., and suddenly she turned back and told me in my face: "what a beautiful car that you own !, it is really beautiful, congratulations"

my god !, what can i do ? should i buy a brand new 1 series bmw to impress them ? what has happen with taste and culture ?

:-D

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Women Owner

My married daughter owns an 71 3.0 purchased from Jimmy Baker, could be for sale in the near future if she buys another house.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
came across this "oldie" searching for info

i can not ressist to comment this

i am really worried about the fact that no woman of my age (42) or younger is interested in my car, i am always looking through the mirrors when i pass them on the street, sadly i can always see the same indiference, but,.... things can become worse,...always

the other day, after a sunny ride over the mountains, until the seaside, and back home again, i stopped in the red lights to allow an old lady pass the street

she was an elegant old lady, 87 i guess, well dressed, her hair beautifully done,..., and suddenly she turned back and told me in my face: "what a beautiful car that you own !, it is really beautiful, congratulations"

my god !, what can i do ? should i buy a brand new 1 series bmw to impress them ? what has happen with taste and culture ?

:-D

I am greatly saddened by this, especially after putting at least 1000 hours into the underside alone! I mean I can look at a pin-up girl from the 30's and... well let's say beauty is beauty! Now that even the most expensive sports cars in the world look like Mazda’s with a Darth Vader masks maybe the beauty of the e9 design will be more noticeable. Can anyone look at a picture of Michelle Pfeiffer and not gawk-even just a little? I guess some people prefer pigs in "meat dresses".