E9_Wood_1.jpg

E9_Wood_2.jpg

E9_Wood_3.jpg

E9_Wood_4.jpg

E9_Wood_5.jpg

FlyWulf

Reaction score
Got Wood?

Hello, Did you have those fabricated or reworked?

Who did the work?

More details please

thanks,

Ed

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
Holey holes Batman!

Yes the holes are for the MB Quart tweeters. These wood pieces were reworked.
-Kingman

Bennett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tweeters

do the speakers fit easily and can they be added without removing the wood (drilled in place)?

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tweeter Holes

As I remember I drilled the holes with a good hole saw, probably a Starrett. I did the drilling with the wood in the car, took my time and the holes came out clean. The veneer was done recently and the woodworkerguy probably cut out the holes w/ a utility knife.
Regards,
Kingman

acat2002

Reaction score
Elrey, that looks fantastic!

Is that birds-eye walnut?

Tell us what type of stain/lacquer/poly was used.
Wait until you see how is looks when you get in installed in the car! It really is the focal point of the interior and is one the one key defining elements of E9s.

Are you doing the install yourself?

One small tip I have is to cover the end grain on the wood with some type of tape (masking tape will work fine), so that nothing will become chipped during the install. Sometimes those ends can snag some metal or get bumped and tap may provide just enough protection.

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
Veneer

Acat
I can't remember the name of the wood I chose. The Woodworkerguy used a satin 1 step finish, I'll find out the details & post 'em. He said he used almost a gallon of finish on the project. . . coat - rub out - repeat.
I got the veneer from an amazing place out in the farm country around Buffalo. If you go to their web site you'll see how I got overloaded on exotic wood names. They have a very friendly & helpfull staff.
Certainly Wood Inc
www.certainlywood.com
transparent.png

Last edited:

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
Veneer wood type

I found the invoice. The wood I chose was Pommele Bubinga, the total cost of the veneer was $38.50.
-ElRey

Tundra

Reaction score
Best woodwork I've seen on this site. Fantastic job. Thanks for sharing.

Fjord3.0

Reaction score
love that wood! anybody know a good wood shop in n. california to redo the wood if i buy the veeners?

bradmdub

Reaction score
I'm also looking for a shop capable of doing this work in Los Angeles. Does anyone know what kind of wood the original veneer was? Is it sacrilege to select a different type of wood?

Those veneers look beautiful, by the way.

Brad

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know what his selection of veneers is, but I used Coupe King (in LA) to refinish my wood. Couldn't be happier with the results.

jmackro

Reaction score
I'm also looking for a shop capable of doing this work in Los Angeles. Does anyone know what kind of wood the original veneer was? Is it sacrilege to select a different type of wood?

bradmdub:

That was a simple question - just drive up the coast to Goleta, and visit Madera Concepts. See: http://www.maderaconcepts.com/NewSite/VehiclePages/bmw_vehicles.html

They can create new wood, as well as re-veneer you old. They offer burlwood, as well as the original French Walnut (which is what I used - in my opinion, it is a sacrilege to try to make a CS look like a Jaguar).

Give Madera a call - they are nice people and do fantastic work.