Workshop build/restoration??

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
So this is why progress on my E9 has been so slow.

Bit of backstory, Dad ran the workshop from 1982 to 2000, purchased it in 84. For the last 20 years used as a storage dump. Pulled all the cars out (including, most importantly, the E9 that had sat there since 88, and my Golf which I restored and is now the daily driver.

Some serious water ingress, a rotten attic floor and roof and dodgy electrics. First step was clearing a few tons of junk .In total we removed about 5 tonnes

DvNcBaD.jpg

yLnzk4m.jpg

OhkgAKQ.jpg

mBijdyc.jpg

New roof and new attic floor
UpSoUQG.jpg

More clearing..
6kMcrcr.jpg

Some paint just to liven things up a bit.
h0S40wC.jpg

Dividing an area off - this will be the machine room. Our lathe, CNC router, 3d printers and pillar drill will go in here as well as the battery building station for our EV projects.

1QTDaVR.jpg

Ramp out, this thing was HEAVY.

eDsPbPk.jpg

New wiring, fuse box and LED lighting throughout (still a bit more to add).

A very tired Liam doing what an electrician does best - napping :p

T0ivXx0.jpg

A few tonnes of self level just to get the worst of the bumps joins out.
uyvrY9N.jpg

0HKQeCW.jpg

Machine room had some laminate laid in. Raised platform with aluminium chequer plate in the cnc area.

gbpBU0k.jpg

Main workshop area ground down with a floor grinder we hired, the dust was horrendous even with the vacuum set up. One of those jobs you definitely should pay someone to do!

Approx 120kg of epoxy laid down, 2mm thick consisting of a primer/sealer, metallic base and a clear.

pe4Hmbi.jpg

PSXWhJR.jpg

Just waiting for the base to cure now, then the top coat can go on, leave to cure then move the toolchest back. Get the ramp installed and start cleaning, install the OSB tool wall with french cleats, fit stainless steel worktops and do the final painting.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Still getting there Stephen!

Currently have a 66 Mustang coming over from Chicago, plenty to do before then to keep us busy

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice! Was going to suggest epoxy. In my experience self leveling comping is relatively “soft” compared to traditional foundation concrete. Get some welding blankets for the floor because MIG sparks will scorch the floor.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice! Was going to suggest epoxy. In my experience self leveling comping is relatively “soft” compared to traditional foundation concrete. Get some welding blankets for the floor because MIG sparks will scorch the floor.

Good shout, workbench areas will be covered in ally treadplate as well as around the ramp

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Like the shot of the fatigued Liam. Half worn out, half dejected, but likely to rise up and get back to it.