Would you rather this or a Singer Porsche?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Eagle Lightweight GT Re imagined E Type

Singer Porsche

I do like them both....a lot.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
while this is an interesting question, and i love the original e-type as well as the early air-cooled 911. both of these ideas are ridiculously expensive ... but if i had an e type, i would want an original early one. that being said, i am a 911 guy, and the Singer 911's are just so friggin cool. i think they are truly significant improvements to the 911 in design and performance - no detail is left half-done. my painter knows the guy who has the one here in ATL ...

Steven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I can't help but obsess over Singer. I think if I had to put anything up against that, I'd be looking at Gunther Werks or Emory. Certainly a gorgeous E-Type, though.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was loaned a drive in a Singer last year- best steering car I‘ve ever been in.
Off the charts perfection.
That kind client has also let me drive the Carrera Gt- the scariest car I’ve been in.

C3C8B949-17F4-456D-BE24-85BD679F7809.jpeg
4DD71D72-1788-48CD-89E5-700055B5DE6F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Or one of our own @danmooney E-Type Lightweights?? Buy local !

Ed Z
Tough choice, I think it would be unwise for me to own any of these 3 (not that I ponder spending such huge sums on a car ). Probably would go for the Singer though if it is the best steering car SF Don has driven. Certainly have admiration for those that build stuff to such high standards.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have had a great experience of driving almost anything of interest on Turo as I travel around the country. One weekend it was a Tesla, a Ghibli and a Singer. Generally I want to rent cars that I want to drive but not or can’t own. Imagine a 700hp Hellcat in the wine country for the weekend... Ive also rented a Smartcar and a Fiat 500 Convertible....

here are some choices for Ed in Austin!

DB487828-6263-40A1-8577-C8A231D9DBF9.png
DCC2A5CB-D22E-4BEF-9C41-B42A6BD22F38.png

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Am I incorrect that Singer modifies 1989 and newer productions 911’s and the Eagle E-type is ground-up new design that is evocative of a 1961 car? Seems like these car’s have very different goals and likely different clientel.

Personally, I struggle to understand the value of such high performance cars on public roads. If the goal is a dual use track-day and DD car, then perhaps it makes sense.

For myself, I prefer not to mix cars optimized for track use (performance/safety) with what I drive on the road. And for cool road cars, I prefer coolness via rarity, age, and required driving skill over coolness via blinding performance (which can’t possibly be used safely on public roads).

I just did an 8 hour tour with a pre-war Alfa 8C, a Maserati A6G, several lowly post war Zagato alloy creations, and some common 1960’s classics. I found this much more fun than a tour in modern super cars with flawless brakes, infinite grip, cruise control, and adequate AC. I was offered the helm of a Porsche Turbo-S for this drive but politely declined in favor of a vintage car that demands constant attention and handles like a tractor. We even enjoyed the inevitable breakdown and road-side McGyver-ing required to get going again. The only people who would rather have been in modern supercars were the SO’s who were along as hot/sweaty (and occasionally nauseous) navigators.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was offered the helm of a Porsche Turbo-S for this drive but politely declined in favor of a vintage car that demands constant attention and handles like a tractor. We even enjoyed the inevitable breakdown and road-side McGyver-ing required to get going again.

Couldn't say it better.

While I was in New Orleans last Fall, Steve and I swapped cars for a little bit. His e9 is phenomenal... triple carbs running like a modern injected car. He got out of my 2000CS with a big grin... really we both had big grins. The driving experiences couldn't be more different. The early Coupe is lacking the big power of the M30, non-power steering along with the quick ratio box means you feel every thing. The long throw of the gear box, the huge 420mm steering wheel, skinny tires and lots of fender overhang... I think Steve said something like, "you have to be patient with it". Indeed... "handles like a tractor" might not exactly describe the 2000CS, but perhaps a late 60s Chevy farm truck? :)

I drive an e28 535i for my every day car. Even that car makes me feel isolated from the road, I'm not sure how I would feel in a truly modern sports car, even if I could afford one.

Ed

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would need something more exotic than a Fiat 500, I'm afraid. o_O

hey - it’s Italian!

and fast and fun And electric!

I will splurge for the 22 bucks- first day is on me.

0-60 in 8 seconds...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Or one of our own @danmooney E-Type Lightweights?? Buy local !

Ed Z
this is something i could definitely do ... love Dan's cars. whenever i get to Austin, been trying to go for a couple of years, just hadn't arrived yet ... want to go see Dan, his cars + shop and our friends Peter + Ed and their wonderful cars

Am I incorrect that Singer modifies 1989 and newer productions 911’s and the Eagle E-type is ground-up new design that is evocative of a 1961 car? Seems like these car’s have very different goals and likely different clientel.

Personally, I struggle to understand the value of such high performance cars on public roads. If the goal is a dual use track-day and DD car, then perhaps it makes sense.

For myself, I prefer not to mix cars optimized for track use (performance/safety) with what I drive on the road. And for cool road cars, I prefer coolness via rarity, age, and required driving skill over coolness via blinding performance (which can’t possibly be used safely on public roads).
my 2011 911s has 385 hp and tons of torque ... its the best daily driver i have ever had, extremely fast but more importantly very reliable ... with PASM, i can lower it 20mm for on-track use, with sport chrono plus, i can boost the fuel delivery mapping. in 6 years it only stranded me once, when an idler pulley sheared off on the main belt. take a wonderful car, restore and dial it in both performance and handling wise. Singer, Singer, Singer. as i said before, a real E type is a car i have always wanted, and always will. a more affordable approach than a singer or an eagle, but it would mean parting with my coupe, and that ain't happenin.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
want to go see Dan, his cars + shop and our friends Peter + Ed and their wonderful cars

Dan welcomed me into his shop with open arms; and, wow... what a shop. True craftsmanship going on there.

Hope you make it to Austin some day. We're happy to have you.

Ed

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was loaned a drive in a Singer last year- best steering car I‘ve ever been in.
Off the charts perfection.
That kind client has also let me drive the Carrera Gt- the scariest car I’ve been in.

View attachment 96081View attachment 96082

I would take the Singer. I have owned a 997 and I have also driven a 1972 911S. Nothing steers like a 911. My non-power assist CSL is also very good, and my 1970 Junior Zagato is darn close to a 911. But 911s have the best steering feel of anything I have driven so far in life.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Speaking of JZ’s, we had one our Saturday tour. I like these but others feel the design is a bit polarizing. One person said it looks
Like a Saab Sonnet...

I happen to also like the later 89-91 Alfa SZ . Also a quirky acquired taste.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The draw for me with Singer is the build quality and attention to detail. I’ve never driven a car with more than 270 hp, and my 2800 CS has more HP than any vehicle my wife and I have ever owned. I suppose I just don’t know what I am missing.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just did an 8 hour tour with a pre-war Alfa 8C, a Maserati A6G, several lowly post war Zagato alloy creations, and some common 1960’s classics. I found this much more fun than a tour in modern super cars with flawless brakes, infinite grip, cruise control, and adequate AC. I was offered the helm of a Porsche Turbo-S for this drive but politely declined in favor of a vintage car that demands constant attention and handles like a tractor. We even enjoyed the inevitable breakdown and road-side McGyver-ing required to get going again. The only people who would rather have been in modern supercars were the SO’s who were along as hot/sweaty (and occasionally nauseous) navigators.

Where was this and how come I didn't know about it, is my coupe too new?