WTB: 265 speedo drive

Christopher Graff

Reaction score
Dear all,

Am looking to purchase a speedo drive and adapter and bush (or the whole set) for a 265 5-speed conversion:
PN: 23221200416
PN: 23211202751
PN: 23121630176

Many thanks!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
you converting from a four-speed stick? Or automatic?

Former (Getrag 262) should have those parts.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would love to buy a used set from Getrag 262 if possible as I would be converting from automatic to 262 5-speed (E28) where I have only preparation (plastic cap) but no gear in.

Maybe you ca help me somehow with it?

frogisland

Reaction score
I've bought a couple of complete 4-speeds (with the parts in) recently for less than £100 the pair. This is probably the best way to go to obtain the parts now, if you look long enough complete 4-speeds do come up very cheaply from time to time.

Also, the drive gear and shim is still available from BMW although not cheap. Neil at AllGears in the UK (he builds my gearboxes) is thinking about having a large batch of the no longer available speedo drives machined up. If you get really stuck might be worthwhilst giving him a shout.

And don't forget, if you are using the old style clutch slave and associated bell housing you will need to pull the clutch release fork lever ball pin.

All the more reason to source a cheap 4-speed to pinch all the parts from....however the ones i bought didn't have the ball pin!

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good hint, thanks.

I see the prices of 4-speed gearboxes are not low for some time.
It is a pain to buy new parts from BMW as they are way too expensive for the function they do and material they consumed but we know - storage costs as well as "classic" in the shop name.

If someone would be scrapping old gearbox (to gain the speedo drive parts) or have the parts for Getrag 262 I'm interested.
Maybe someone was going to 265, so does not need the gear anymore?

I will be also looking around of course.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those speedo drive gears are the same for almost all vintage BMW 4 and 5 speed transmissions. So you are not just limited to the ones on the e9s or early sixes. Here a pic of the gear from a 1968 2002 with the early style Porsche synchros. This is what I used for the 5-speed conversion.

Attachments

• Speedo Drive Gear 2.jpg
    Speedo Drive Gear 2.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 101

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pretty sure the worm gear is still available. Eg ECSTuning.

The washer is available in Europe

The drive gear, I see here for sale from time to time.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does it mean the numbers mentioned in the firs post by Christopher are the right reference for 262 and 265?

PN: 23221200416
PN: 23211202751
PN: 23121630176

or 262 as the older model can reuse from any of BMW transmissions 4/5 speed from E21/E28/E23/E10 which have had still bowden cable-based speedo drive?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Aside from the washer (which aforementioned, could still be had in europe), I think everything else can be bought new still?

Just google the part #s.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Which of the parts are really needed as they're:
- being worn out (?),
- needed for gearbox swap to 5-speed manual?

Christopher Graff

Reaction score
No, right now they're all not available.

416 is NLA
751 is backordered (no real ETA)
176 is NLA

Even checked other sources (called Maximillian, euro ebay, W&N, etc).

The drive gear itself is still available (772).

They don't usually wear out, except the seals (which are still available), but if you're swapping over from an automatic you need them. If you have a good 4-speed manual, you can swap them out from trans to trans, but that's still interim work while the trans is out. The reason I was looking for them is I'd rather fully prep the 5-speed I have prior starting the disassembly of the car.