WTB 45 DCOE top cover

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
Do you have a version preference? As in 45 DCOE ##, where the ## needs to match what you already have? If so, post what you have.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
the three old tops are:
45 9 number 3k
45 15 number 7g
45 16 number 7e

What is the difference? What do the 'extra' numbers mean?
the one that is broken is the 45 9 number 3k
So I suppose a 15 or 16 is a better match?

Thanks

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
The numbers after DCOE on the cover signify what it’s meant for, and how you know what is (supposed to be) inside- from a retail carb, to oem applications like Ferrari, Alfa, etc. if you’re doing a concourse restoration on a car that the correct original carbs matter, then having the right cover matters. The main difference is some manufacturers gave different specs when ordering the carbs, from the idle circuits, jetting, etc; an engineer feels this engine needs larger idle jets so the correct carb, pre jetted to Ferrari’s specs will be something like 45 DCOE 4e. It may be identical to the retail version of the carb but with a different set of jets pre installed.
If it’s just a matter of replacing the cover because the one you have is damaged, any DCOE cover that at least starts with 45 will do, since what you have already doesn’t match anyway. What I will venture to say is those numbers are varied enough that they are from very different cars originally. I can tell you from where but I won’t be back at the shop until Tuesday.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
The numbers after DCOE on the cover signify what it’s meant for, and how you know what is (supposed to be) inside- from a retail carb, to oem applications like Ferrari, Alfa, etc. if you’re doing a concourse restoration on a car that the correct original carbs matter, then having the right cover matters. The main difference is some manufacturers gave different specs when ordering the carbs, from the idle circuits, jetting, etc; an engineer feels this engine needs larger idle jets so the correct carb, pre jetted to Ferrari’s specs will be something like 45 DCOE 4e. It may be identical to the retail version of the carb but with a different set of jets pre installed.
If it’s just a matter of replacing the cover because the one you have is damaged, any DCOE cover that at least starts with 45 will do, since what you have already doesn’t match anyway. What I will venture to say is those numbers are varied enough that they are from very different cars originally. I can tell you from where but I won’t be back at the shop until Tuesday.
Thanks for the information
This car didn't come with side drafts, but I am trying to stick to 'period appropriate' mods
I don't know if these carbs where new at the time but they were but on a Bavaria around 25 years ago