WTB: A/C Set / Centerconsole for E9

JanWillem

Reaction score
Dear people,

Update 2021: I'm still on the look-out for such a set, can anyone help me?

I have decided i want an A/C in my E9 project. Im in the Netherlands and A/C parts are quite rare in northern Europe.

Does anyone have an A/C set for me? Complete would be great. If not complete: the center console and all inner workings (Evaporator) are neccesary. I can use new pump, lines, condensor etc.

Looking forward to your replies!

Kind regards,

Jan Willem

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dear E9 aficionados,

I have decided i want an A/C in my E9 project. Im in the Netherlands and A/C parts are quite rare in northern Europe.

Does anyone have an A/C set for my? Complete would be great. If not complete: the center console and all inner workings are neccesary. I can use new pump, lines, condensor etc.

Kind regards,

Jan Willem

Hi Jan,

The easiest thing to find will be the evaporator box. It is shared across the e3. The console sides, blend duct, console vents, and faceplate are all e9-specific. If you can’t find the side vents or face plate, I have 3D printed versions. I recommend checking in Germany on ebay.

See the 2800CS part out thread. Vitaliy still has everything except for the console sides. I think he would be willing to ship internationally. Since you can’t text him feel free to shoot me a PM. There is one other person in California interested in the AC bits.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dear E9 aficionados,

Does anyone have an A/C set for my? Complete would be great. If not complete: the center console and all inner workings are neccesary. I can use new pump, lines, condensor etc.

Kind regards,

Jan Willem

so this is the list

system comprises,

front electric fan with dedicated double relay and dual temp sensor in radiator, original fan has an specific metal frame supported by rubber bushings
condenser and hoses
compressor and support to attach to engine
internal evaporator, very specific, only e9 valid
evaporator support frames
air duct T shape, this one substitutes the original non AC flat tunnel air duct, it lets the air to be mixed from heater and or AC
two switches, one includes capillar sensor, other is fan velocity
frontal grille frame that holds also radio opening
specific central console panels with lateral plastic grilles

it took me five years to complete the bits, i searched many sources, in germany and the US

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
so this is the list

system comprises,

front electric fan with dedicated double relay and dual temp sensor in radiator, original fan has an specific metal frame supported by rubber bushings
condenser and hoses
compressor and support to attach to engine
internal evaporator, very specific, only e9 valid
evaporator support frames
air duct T shape, this one substitutes the original non AC flat tunnel air duct, it lets the air to be mixed from heater and or AC
two switches, one includes capillar sensor, other is fan velocity
frontal grille frame that holds also radio opening
specific central console panels with lateral plastic grilles

it took me five years to complete the bits, i searched many sources, in germany and the US
Regards the evaporator, not just E9 specific, as mentioned above, it is same as the E3 unit, plus, also found in the E21. Still, they are all very old by now, and require reconditioning. But they do turn up.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Regards the evaporator, not just E9 specific, as mentioned above, it is same as the E3 unit, plus, also found in the E21. Still, they are all very old by now, and require reconditioning. But they do turn up.

Not all E21's. Interestingly enough it is the later ones that have it. I seriously wonder if they were trying to unload some inventory.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not all E21's. Interestingly enough it is the later ones that have it. I seriously wonder if they were trying to unload some inventory.
Are you saying there were different evaporators used in E21s? I sourced 1 some years ago, from an E21 equipped with a/c. Same evaporator. Were there some years that used a different unit? Perhaps I just got lucky! ;). 64511351961.

Last edited:

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jan, I should ask what your experience has been inside an E9 Coupe. There was time I was so amazed at how freakin' hot it would become inside my car that I felt it was absolutely necessary to add a/c. Since that time, I have discovered that there are measures a driver can take that minimizes the heat that enters the cabin. I see that you are in the Netherlands. Not tropical. What I have learned is that a lot of heat can enter the cabin via the vent just outside the heater, on the right side. There is a tube that should have a hose attached that hangs down into the engine bay, with a small opening to allow accumulated water to drip through. But if this tube is missing, only the intense heat from the exhaust manifolds rises up and enters the cabin, creating a crazy hot drive. Others here have chronicled various heat shields from later BMW models installed in their E9s with great effect. I live in Vancouver Canada, not many really really hot days, and I am guessing perhaps the same for where you live. My point is, optimizing insulation may yield similar results for the limited days during the year where it may feel especially hot outside. But, by all means, if you want to go for the total a/c install, I may have a spare set of console sides. ;). Let us know what you decide. Mike

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not to mention bypassing the heater core which prevents a lot of dash heat soak

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not to mention bypassing the heater core which prevents a lot of dash heat soak
Hi Steve. I tried that route. I think results all depend upon where you live. I disconnected my heater for 2 years, and for 2 years I definitely excluded heater heat soak, but I also could not get any heat whatsoever on the early morning drives when outside temperature was not yet even warm. In distinctly hot environments I can see the heater being not necessary and only contributing to the interior cabin suffocatingly hot condition. The rest of us need the heater some days. When I look at BMWs that came after the E9, there were some additional measures taken to prevent engine heat from affecting occupants. I feel it is well worth the time to include insulation steps in any restoration of an E9 as has been documented by several members here. The E9 is not the only '60s, 70's car to have been manufactured with a minimum of exhaust/engine bay heat insulation and a quick search of available remediation options will offer some hope.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
What is THAT! Nope, not even close. Looks like a mutant. Where is that from....JC Whitney perhaps?
This is the E21 unit I have ;
SAM_3470.JPG

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agree, so I installed a valve to turn on for the month of January, then off the rest of the year.

Hi Steve. I tried that route. I think results all depend upon where you live. I disconnected my heater for 2 years, and for 2 years I definitely excluded heater heat soak, but I also could not get any heat whatsoever on the early morning drives when outside temperature was not yet even warm. In distinctly hot environments I can see the heater being not necessary and only contributing to the interior cabin suffocatingly hot condition. The rest of us need the heater some days. When I look at BMWs that came after the E9, there were some additional measures taken to prevent engine heat from affecting occupants. I feel it is well worth the time to include insulation steps in any restoration of an E9 as has been documented by several members here. The E9 is not the only '60s, 70's car to have been manufactured with a minimum of exhaust/engine bay heat insulation and a quick search of available remediation options will offer some hope.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
What is THAT! Nope, not even close. Looks like a mutant. Where is that from....JC Whitney perhaps?
This is the E21 unit I have ;

Hi @bluecoupe30! ,

Sadly there are practically zero pics of e21 dash surgery. I have pulled an evap box from an e21 myself and it was like yours. They aren’t exactly the same as e9 but too close to tell the difference. At the time I looked at applicable years and confcluded for one reason or another they differed over the years. I don’t trust realoem because it says the part worked through the 90’s.

So my hunch is that when looking at the few pics I could find, some were of the heater box. Unlike the e9 the e21 heater box has a squirrel cage that is very similar to the evap squirrel cage.

So in short I’ll assume that you are correct, and my assumption that the evaporator changed on the e21 is incorrect. Thank you for bringing it up!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree, so I installed a valve to turn on for the month of January, then off the rest of the year.
Ah yes, the valve. I made an attempt to fit one as well. It is a great idea, and I have read hack Mechanic's installation "guide" but I was not happy with the routing of the hoses and that GMC part. Since then however, I had found a MB part from the same era, that may be a better fit. Just on the list with all the other great ideas I have to get to.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @bluecoupe30! ,

Sadly there are practically zero pics of e21 dash surgery. I have pulled an evap box from an e21 myself and it was like yours. They aren’t exactly the same as e9 but too close to tell the difference. At the time I looked at applicable years and confcluded for one reason or another they differed over the years. I don’t trust realoem because it says the part worked through the 90’s.

So my hunch is that when looking at the few pics I could find, some were of the heater box. Unlike the e9 the e21 heater box has a squirrel cage that is very similar to the evap squirrel cage.

So in short I’ll assume that you are correct, and my assumption that the evaporator changed on the e21 is incorrect. Thank you for bringing it up!
Well, I cannot call myself any E21 expert, but that one evaporator I did source only differed in where the copper pipes enter and exit. Just a short extra bend. Can easily be included in any installation. The "intermediate piece" vent fits the same and the outer box dimensions look the same too, but that photo you showed was, say, educational. I wonder if a more modern evaporator can ever fit in that cramped space, to perhaps be a little more powerful, but in the end, I think I have convinced myself that better insulation may work well enough in the climate I drive in. And I agree, I have been surprised by real oem more than once.;)

JanWillem

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm still in search of an E9 Airconditioning center console with evaporator. Does anyone have this laying around?

Thanks!