WTB e39 528it

steve

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 528it or 525it on the west coast if anyone here has or knows of a good one on the market.

Also can anyone fill me in on the advantages or disadvantages from either of these models...

I know there is a e39 (going there next) forum but I suspect there are some well informed members here as well.

Thanks

x_atlas0

Reaction score
They also made the 540it for the US market, although only the 528it came in a manual. They are rather tricky to find, unfortunately.

As far as I know, the touring has no body-specific quirks, only general E39 issues, like cooling systems every ~60-80k and the cluster/MID display decay problems.

That said, I have found they are a bit more... delicate... than the equivalent E34 or E28. I used to drive a '99 540i/6 and the dang thing just could not keep body trim on. It also had occasional electronic "hiccups" with no rhyme or reason, but these were quite rare.

Overall, they are fine cars, but be prepared to pay for any electronics issues.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
E39 electronics issues

There´s quite a lot of do-it-yourself knowledge for the E34 and E39 electronics (and pixel display) issues by now. Though most of it is probably buried in german forums.

Time to pick up zose Scherman lezzons... :)

Seriously, anyone having those issues, I´ll be happy to do a little german googling when the time comes.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
e39 wagon

My mother has owned one of these for years, a 2001 525it automatic. It is a wonderful car, with about 70,000 miles, and has been very reliable. I drive it whenever I am home visiting her. She has maintained the automatic, and it works perfectly and seems as though it will last another 70,000 miles. The trannies and the plastic radiators/water pumps are the weak spots in these cars. If you were lucky enough to find a good 5 speed, great, but the autos are not as bad as some say they are.
Scott