WTB Perfect Petri

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
As the heading says. Prefer 40cm however 38cm would be okay if it is perfect and in the case of lack of availability. With or without boss and horn.

I have a Petri but the previous owner, in a fit of spite, put a ding in it right where it is most obvious.

And I'm in Australia so allow for shipping.

Frankie123

Site Donor
Reaction score

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
contact @Hans W. and @Wladek

As the heading says. Prefer 40cm however 38cm would be okay if it is perfect and in the case of lack of availability. With or without boss and horn.

I have a Petri but the previous owner, in a fit of spite, put a ding in it right where it is most obvious.

And I'm in Australia so allow for shipping.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
neither of those wheels has a hub so everything is just sitting on the spokes ... no screws into the hub. they also look like 35cm, which is fine for a 2002. the horn buttons look wrong. the hubs / correct horn button are the difficult part ... therefore an expensive addition.

one of these days i might get talked into my perfect used 40cm petri as i will be using Keshav's previous leather 38cm ... but today is not that day.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That link shows Aus $3080 for a second hand Petri steering wheel. Wow.

Yet a brand new heritage Nardi or Momo is about Aus $500.

https://momo.com/en-us/products/heritage-us/steering-wheels-heritage-us/

It's frustrating some of the prices of E9 items I have seen advertised on this forum or ebay lately - seem to have doubled or tripled in a year.
in the past 5+ years, petri wheels are becoming rarer due to limited supply. same with vintage prototipo wheels. since this forum has singlehandedly driven up the demand due to how nice they look in our cars, recently long term members like @HBChris and @Stan have gone away from their BMW wheels and moved to Petri. kinda tells you something ... they just look great on our cars. 5 years ago a very nice petri was between 750 and 1000 and ego_bgo was selling them for 1200+.

so now a CSL petri (leather) with correct hub starts at 2500 and i think soon it might cross 4000 usd. a standard 38 or 40 cm petri in perfect shape is somewhere between 1400 and 2100 usd with correct hub and horn button. one that is not in excellent shape is between 650 and 1200.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Contact @Hans W.

He specializes in European steering wheels. Have purchased both my excellent 380 & 400 Petris from Hans & Bouke as well as rarer CS & '02 steering wheels. They are fair, honest and most likely have the size you want in stock.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
in the past 5+ years, petri wheels are becoming rarer due to limited supply. same with vintage prototipo wheels. since this forum has singlehandedly driven up the demand due to how nice they look in our cars, recently long term members like @HBChris and @Stan have gone away from their BMW wheels and moved to Petri. kinda tells you something ... they just look great on our cars. 5 years ago a very nice petri was between 750 and 1000 and ego_bgo was selling them for 1200+.

so now a CSL petri (leather) with correct hub starts at 2500 and i think soon it might cross 4000 usd. a standard 38 or 40 cm petri in perfect shape is somewhere between 1400 and 2100 usd with correct hub and horn button. one that is not in excellent shape is between 650 and 1200.

After wanting one for years, I too finally bit the bullet in 2019 and installed a Petri in my coupe. It replaced the Nardi that I put in the car when I restored it 15 years ago. I'm very happy I made the change.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know what finish is used on the spokes? Dull chrome? Is there such a thing? I think the base material may be brass as I can discern a tiny hint of gold in the dint on my wheel.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know what finish is used on the spokes? Dull chrome? Is there such a thing? I think the base material may be brass as I can discern a tiny hint of gold in the dint on my wheel.

I have been told nickel, which the skeptic in me doesn’t believe. I think it is “hard chrome”. If you want to compare and contrast, you can find an array of firearms with both finishes. I tend to believe that hard chrom has a bluish finish and may even show some rainbow reflections on the backside. Nickel throws more yellowish colors. That said, if you look at polished nickel, it’s pretty close.

About the wheel, if you are serious about a perfect 40, a member has a NOS 40. I can check with him. He is not a steering wheel vendor or an established parts seller. The wheel hasn’t changed hands anytime recently...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ll also add that for as much as I love the Petri, and like my fellow wheel enthusiasts.... Petri’s are far from rare. There is a seemingly endless supply. Prices may be going up, but it is based entirely on the value that the market has set, not supply. That includes Frankenstein wheels as well as original BMW wheels with the proper hubs. The CSL petri is the only rare Petri. Finding any Petri without minor pitting on the finish is tough, but the 8/10 wheels are plentiful.

On the contrary, it is much more difficult to find a nice momo, regardless of the seemingly infinite number that were produced. The leather deteriorated faster than the Petri foam. The spoke wraps peel off. The spokes bend, and the anodized finish is easily scratched. They are nowhere near as sturdy as the Petri. The vast majority of the wheels are 350mm or less. For this reason, it can be extremely difficult to source a 370mm or 380mm momo in good or great shape. They are traded in private circles at crazy price points.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Markos. Well it doesn't have to be perfect. I mainly stated that to avoid the nastier examples for sale.

Having said that however, and taking into account your information about relative lack of rarity, there is the possibility of restoring a cheaper wheel. I'd be okay with re-plating ( nickel?) and re-trimming, in leather a tired Petri. It would possibly be cheaper than some of the prices being asked. It's not as though I'm recolouring the Mona Lisa.

Re your guy - I guess it wouldn't hurt to find out if you would please.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Markos. Well it doesn't have to be perfect. I mainly stated that to avoid the nastier examples for sale.

Having said that however, and taking into account your information about relative lack of rarity, there is the possibility of restoring a cheaper wheel. I'd be okay with re-plating ( nickel?) and re-trimming, in leather a tired Petri. It would possibly be cheaper than some of the prices being asked. It's not as though I'm recolouring the Mona Lisa.

Re your guy - I guess it wouldn't hurt to find out if you would please.

I’ll check on the wheel. I think it is in your best interest to buy a complete wheel yourself, or from one of the many members that sell them.

Wladek

Reaction score
Petri where originally in nickel.
If you compare nickel vs chrome:
1. Nickel is slightly yellowish vs chrome is ice cold; i compared both genuine surface vs re-chromed & genuine is slightly yellowish.
2. Surface resistantance for damages & rust - nickel is not very resistant, that's why some Petri's are scratched & also rusted. Try to do that with chrome if it's properly coated.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
2. Surface resistantance for damages & rust - nickel is not very resistant, that's why some Petri's are scratched & also rusted (steel-copper-nickel). Try to do that with chrome if it's properly coated (steel-copper-nickel-chrome).

My front bumper disagrees.

Anyway, the following ad confirms two things IMO. First, despite disbelief by some, the “factory black petri” that @Keshav has been referring to, undoubtedly exists. I know he has one in hand, but it is helpful to have documentation of the offering. Secondly, Petri refers to their wheel finish as Matt-Chrome. It could still be nickel, but their literature is quite specific.

419CAAED-2A48-4F68-8267-7746C7835A7E.jpeg

As far as the schwarz one goes, this looks the part...

Last edited:

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ll check on the wheel. I think it is in your best interest to buy a complete wheel yourself, or from one of the many members that sell them.

Okay. I guess I'll keep bumping until something turns up.

Matt chrome? This may be the finish employed by tap ware and door furniture. Very durable in those applications.