WTB Rubber cover for rear bumper bracket

SJFry

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first post here, so if I screwed something up, please be kind.

I'm looking for the drivers side bracket cover for the rear bumper. It's item #9 shown in the schematic (the rubber piece). The part number is 51121823117. If you have a pair that you don't want to split up, that would be fine too. I'll take em both.

It's needed for my 1973 3.0CS. I managed to rip/mangle mine recently and would like to replace it.

Thanks in advance,
Keith

upload_2018-1-25_20-0-12.png

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keith,

Incredibly hard to find unfortunately. Please add your location to your profile and maybe your coupe to your signature. You can JBWeld a piece of aluminum under the flat part and paint with that spray on rubber stuff.

Chris

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like it would be relatively simple to mold out of eurethane rubber. I had a shop mold me a block of hard black eurethane to my specifications for an offroad coupling that I built for my trailer. Not as complex as the part above, but that part looks simple also...

97ceacbe2f0417fef7669eb495845a84.jpg

SJFry

Reaction score
Thanks for replies guys. I didn't realize they were so rare. Rats.

I may take your advice and somehow make my own. A mold sounds like something I might be able to do. And I wonder if I could use "Plasti Dip" as a material. May be worth a shot.

Keith

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This thread is a great example of something I experience on the forum nearly every day:
- Oh, that's an interesting part. Didn't know it existed.
- Hmmm, I see that I don't have that part. Crap.
- It's a hard to find part? Darn. Add that to the "list" of things I need to find.
- I see there are ways to build/create an alternate. All smiles. (add it to a different list of things I need to make).

Everyday is a roller coaster here! I love it. ;)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for replies guys. I didn't realize they were so rare. Rats.

I may take your advice and somehow make my own. A mold sounds like something I might be able to do. And I wonder if I could use "Plasti Dip" as a material. May be worth a shot.

Keith

Does anyone have a picture of the real thing?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At least it’s 73 US only. It sits on top of the hoop and wraps down on the sides. I’m in Chico so can’t get a pic.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve,

Looking at your pics it appears that there is a slight bend to the plastic. If you can get a measurement of the distance from the car to the bumper that would indicate how large of a tube one needs. It is easy to find 2x2 square plastic tube but 3x3 is harder. OP - you should be able to make this easily with some vinyl downspout tubing and a heat gun. If you don't already own a heat gun, you should buy one. :) Ideally it would be good to hunt around the net for a piece of 3x3 black square tube and confirm that you can heat bend it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-Contemporary-120-in-White-Vinyl-Downspout/1000244867

Heat beding is fun. I bent 9' sections of PVC (Azek) decking using my poweder coater's oven and a plywood jig I made. Of course I couldn't build a square deck - that was interesting!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is no curve at trailing edge that I recall, it droops from age and gets wavy across width. Plastidip gives it a cover coating.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is no curve at trailing edge that I recall, it droops from age and gets wavy across width. Plastidip gives it a cover coating.

Even easier. In Steve’s pics it looks like it follows the curve of the tail light.

SJFry

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just wanted to revisit this thread to give an update. I was able to make some reproduction pieces myself.

Using an original part, I took some measurements and created a CAD model. Sent the CAD model to have 3D printed. Used the 3D printed model to make a mold. Then used the mold to make positive parts. It was a long process, but they don't look half bad. Considering one of mine was completely mangled, and the other has seen 40+ years of wear, I didn't have a lot of options.

Here are some pics.

The original one the bottom, the reproduction on the top.
upload_2018-4-14_12-11-11.png

upload_2018-4-14_12-11-47.png

The top side isn't perfectly smooth, but luckily some of it is hidden under the bumper when mounted.
upload_2018-4-14_12-12-23.png

Squishing the reproduction part. It's pretty close to the original.
Can you see the small bubbles on the underside? That kinda bugs me. I don't know if that's because of my technique, or because of the release agent I used. But you can only see them if you look under the bumper (or if you know they're there).
upload_2018-4-14_12-13-16.png

Before installing them.
upload_2018-4-14_12-16-47.png

After installing them.
Notice that I got the curvature wrong too. It doesn't hug the body as well as I'd like.
But I'm happy with them.
upload_2018-4-14_12-17-30.png

Thanks,
Keith

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would most certainly buy a pair. Please let me know price and production time.
Thanks -steve

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The metal hoops may be the same, but the covers for the 2002 are L & R, with a little "hook" on each end. I bought a pair when I thought I was going 73 on my chrome bumpers for my 76 2002 (went 72 instead)...these would probably still work...Nice job on the repros. I agree, that with some tweaks, you could sell quite a few on both boards...