Went a different route.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited:

italiangerman

Site Donor
Reaction score
realistic

Tim,
Sounds like expectations are realistic. Somewhere between $25k-$45K should land you a driver that people will step back from and think, "wow", that is one nice car. Plus, you will be able to drive it from point a to point b and not worry about it. Go for it, wait for the right one. bgl It should be a blast.

dbower

Reaction score
I was flipping through Hemmings today and saw 6-8 E9's for sale. Don't recall if any matched your criteria, but I was surprised to see so many. Might want to check their website.

Don

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
"a well sorted car from the get go that is ready to drive."

Tim,
Sounds like expectations are realistic. Somewhere between $25k-$45K should land you a driver that people will step back from and think, "wow", that is one nice car. Plus, you will be able to drive it from point a to point b and not worry about it. Go for it, wait for the right one. bgl It should be a blast.

I actually think the "well sorted" part will be a bit of a challenge. These are 40 year old cars so they will have lots of worn out or age-degraded systems on them.

To maximize your chances in this area, I'd focus on 3 things

(1) try to find a car that is ALREADY being used as you intend. Cars like Stan's, Adawil's are examples of regularly driven cars that are well sorted/debugged . A restoration with 500 miles on it is not likely to be as good as a car that was restored 5 years ago and has 15k miles on it.

(2) Make sure the car has many years of documented maintenance/service from a shop with expertise in 1970's era BMW's. Its amazing how many broken bits us hack mechanics (sorry Rob) will put up with because we "know we could fix it if we wanted to..."

(3) Have a PPI done by such a real professional with experience on these older cars.

3 years ago I sold a car that I think meets your requirements (20 year old restoration, everything worked, no rust, great documentation, professionally debugged, showing a bit of patina, a 10 footer wow) for just over $40k. It sold without ever being advertised to the 1st interested party. You didn't mention if the exterior needs to be a wow or if the required interior condition. If yes, you are probably closer to the $40k range. What about a really really nice 2002tii with Behr AC? You could get one of those for around $30k and I think there's still real upside left on cars like that.

For $30k, you might have to accept some minor rust issues (rust covered up rather than actually removed).

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow everything I hear about Gullwing motors must be true. I think the E24 is a great substitute if the E9 of your dreams doesn't materialize. They seem like such a deal.

Hatchman

Reaction score
The body/interior is definitely where we're willing to compromise to keep the price down, we're not expecting to steal the show at the vintage at Saratoga next year. Thanks for all the well wishes, a 2002 has always in the back of our minds as we know the same price could get us a hell of roundie, but these coupes are just too damn pretty not to try.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I gave up looking and bought a 2002 , then the right Coupe popped up for a very good price, so now I have both. Still trying to figure out how to tell my wife! I think you will find a car that fits the bill for $30K. Just don't compromise on the rust and look everywhere.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
(1) try to find a car that is ALREADY being used as you intend. Cars like Stan's, Adawil's are examples of regularly driven cars that are well sorted/debugged . A restoration with 500 miles on it is not likely to be as good as a car that was restored 5 years ago and has 15k miles on it.

This is fantastic advice. My Coupe had 400 miles put on it in the preceding 4 years. It's been fun waking her back up from the dead. It's always two steps forward, and one step back, even though I'm just about caught up.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 2 cents

Everything below is excellent advice, including; hang in there, one will come along (especially when you're NOT looking)! The other thing that is so true is that a fresh restoration is often "untested" and it's usually minor things but if you don't feel like crawling around an old car heed the advice below, find an oft-used coupe and locate a good 70's era mechanic-preferably before you buy said car. And good luck!!! I agree, 2002's are really fun but the coupe is a different animal :)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hatchman, if you like please PM me; I received an email from a close friend 10 minutes ago who may have one for sale and I think it could really fit the bill. I know the car very well. He's not 100% sure he wants to sell but I think it's likely. I'm in TX but the car is not, we would have to arrange a PPI in his neck of the woods.

Peter

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fresh restoration

Everything below is excellent advice, including; hang in there, one will come along (especially when you're NOT looking)! The other thing that is so true is that a fresh restoration is often "untested" and it's usually minor things but if you don't feel like crawling around an old car heed the advice below, find an oft-used coupe and locate a good 70's era mechanic-preferably before you buy said car. And good luck!!! I agree, 2002's are really fun but the coupe is a different animal :)

A fresh restoration is fine if done by a reputable shop with good documentation of the details. All too often a fresh "restoration" is really a quick cover-up of the E9's infamous rust issues. If the resto doesn't include pictures of the bare metal but repaired body, then you're at the mercy of the shop's reputation.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
b, excellent point! forgot about that little detail :) If the restoration was done in the last few years there should be tons of pictures because smart phones are so prolific so no excuses.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
try to find a car that is ALREADY being used as you intend. Cars like Stan's, Adawil's are examples of regularly driven cars that are well sorted/debugged .

Thanks for the compliment, bfeng.
It took a year to debug Athena. Mechanically she was a mess, needed her top end rebuilt among many other things. Here's the thread of what was replaced and done prior to The Vintage 2012. See Post number 1: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11519&highlight=Andrew+Wilson's+CSi&page=2

There are cars out there in the $30-35K range. Check out VSR1.com, Mario Langston has a couple of coupes for sale not sure what the asking prices are, yet one may be a good fit.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, bfeng.
It took a year to debug Athena. Mechanically she was a mess, needed her top end rebuilt among many other things. Here's the thread of what was replaced and done prior to The Vintage 2012. See Post number 1: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11519&highlight=Andrew+Wilson's+CSi&page=2

There are cars out there in the $30-35K range. Check out VSR1.com, Mario Langston has a couple of coupes for sale not sure what the asking prices are, yet one may be a good fit.

When I bought my coupe 13 years ago from Coupe King it was what you describe. A reliable driver (I drove it home to NH from Los Angeles), a dry body, and an interior that was "in need". I spent quite a bit over the last 8 years on interior, wood, paint and engine upgrades. As Andrew says, there are coupes out there in your price range....not mine :)
Keep looking, buy the the best one you can afford. Beware of shiny paint over rust.

Tired paint, tired interior, tired engine are much preferred over rust.

Last edited:

waynesie

Reaction score
+1 on finding a mechanic that can truely do a good job on a classic BMW.

Receipts for work done give some history, but don't necessary ensure quality.
I had several hi dollar receipts from the PO on my CS, the parts were there but not installed properly, failed or caused other problems. Also helped another coupe owner with their car who had hi dollar receipts for work done only to find similar results.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this car has been for sale for a little while ... and previously discussed. i thought it had sold ... but i guess not.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When you find and sort out your Coupe, give me a shout. Although I live in PA, just across the boarder from Central Jersey, there is an informal group of coupe owners from PA, NJ, NY who get together for drives, help each other out with parts and problems, and share coupe stories.
Email me when you are ready, Steve ONeill [email protected] 215.620.7687

Our group is named Rocket Dogs, after the shoe company, and I will alert them you are on the search.
Steve