wtb taiga green or orange real CSL

bmwm1

Reaction score
I recently started back up on my CSL search. I saw the car in England posted but that car was sold already.

Does anyone know of any lightweight cars available currently?

There are a few RHD in the UK and some very expensive ones at a dealer in Germany. Anything here stateside?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
who are you?

I recently started back up on my CSL search. I saw the car in England posted but that car was sold already.

Does anyone know of any lightweight cars available currently?

There are a few RHD in the UK and some very expensive ones at a dealer in Germany. Anything here stateside?

It's my guess that people will be better motivated to help you if you're not an anonymous stranger with no real name, location, and only 1 post of history with the forum.

I have personally seen ten CSL's for sale in the past year. Taiga is rare enough and you seem concerned about price. Therefore, you may want to consider buying one with a good chassis, and have the color changed to your preference. A proper color change is unlikely to cost more than $20k. If you are stuck on the idea of getting one that was originally Taiga or orange, you're going to pay more because these are rarer colors.

John

bmwm1

Reaction score
It's my guess that people will be better motivated to help you if you're not an anonymous stranger with no real name, location, and only 1 post of history with the forum.

I have personally seen ten CSL's for sale in the past year. Taiga is rare enough and you seem concerned about price. Therefore, you may want to consider buying one with a good chassis, and have the color changed to your preference. A proper color change is unlikely to cost more than $20k. If you are stuck on the idea of getting one that was originally Taiga or orange, you're going to pay more because these are rarer colors.

John
hi bfeng

my first post as I do not have a e9 and have been poking on my own. I did not think I would need to post my name to get people to respond however I see you live in Ma and so do I. I own a 1980 M1 Henna Red originally owned by Christopher Cross and show it frequently. If you have been to any local shows at Larz Anderson, Greenwich or others you may have seen the car.

Taiga is less common as is orange but such cars exist and I know of a few in Europe for sale. I do not want to do a paint a restoration and would never change a cars color from original.

So here is my second post does that make me a more legit buyer?? lol

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
welcome to the gruppe ... and if you are in Mass and looking for a CSL ... then you want to know John Feng. not only is he a knowledgeable coupe guy ... he is also looking for a csl ... if you add a little information to your signature or edit your details in your profile ... it will give a little general info. name is not important ... but it is good forum courtesy to let people know who / where you are.

cheers and good luck in your quest. keep us informed and please stay active on the forum - you will find it extremely helpful.

scott

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree with Scott, a name isn't a requirement but it is nice, feels more personal to me at least as too often we hide behind an alias. Good luck in your search!

Chris

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bmwm1

Mr. M1,

Yes, I remember Chris's debut album (it's in the basement amongst boxes and boxes of LP's).

I have been pretty much inactive in the Boston bimmer scene, which is ridiculous as this is where the CCA was born. So, I'm sorry but I haven't seen your M1. Will you be at the monthly meeting in a couple weeks (at a dealer up near Peabody).

Do you by any chance know Chuck Schwager? He's got an M1 (and a 507 and many other interesting cars).

Also, sorry for berating you about names. I realize a lot of people want to stay anonymous. For all I know, you could be Bill Clinton!

I personally don't like it the anonymity of the internet, but I'm an old bast*rd who believes if you don't trust someone enough to tell them your name then why should I trust you enough to help you out.

Anyway, there are a couple of CSL experts on this forum (not me). They are likely aware of a significant percentage of the CSL's that come up for sale around the world each year. Perhaps one of them will respond to your request.

John

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Correction, I'm looking for

a really cheap CSL and don't care about color, or configuration. I'm guessing M1 is looking for something based on specific requirements.

And, seriously ... I know very little about CSL's. You need to have owned and restored one before you can be considered knowledgeable. Seek others on this board for CSL advice.

I do think I'm fair when it comes to inspecting a chassis for condition (fair as an amateur). However, your best bet by far is to employ a professional for any PPI. In MA, the choice is simple. Call Mario Langsten at VSR to do a PPI on any CSL you're thinking of buying. I'm sure you know him already as his reputation in the Boston Bimmer chapter is legendary. Even if you need to fly him to the car, it would be a very good investment.

John

bmwm1

Reaction score
I am not looking for a cheap CSL I want a nice one at a fair price. I am not looking for a project car and want a car that is a real light weight no city pak cars.

RonP

Reaction score
So, you are looking for one of the first 169 built cars? You may find one in Inka, but not Tiaga. If not, it will be difficult to find a "Super Lightweight" in either color, as my research tells me that BMW only built 20 injected non-stand packet or city pack cars. I owned one of the 20, but sold it earlier this year. It was Verona.

I remember seeing your M1 right when it came from the port...stunning car. Those cars have sky rocketed in value, and my guess the DE cars will be worth even more, as Mike did such a great job federalizing them.

TodB

Reaction score
Csl

There used to be a local guy from RI who had one of the early cabuerated CSLs. He'd bring it to the Local German Car Show dressed in full laderhosen (him not the car). He also would bring it up to the NHMS track. It was not show quality then and the rust was beginning to take hold of the front fenders if I remeber correctly. I have not seen him in at least 5 years. He had a beautiful light blue MB 4.5 sedan also.

I'll bet John Sullivan would know his name if you were interested in looking him up.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
A Colorado orange carburated CSL sold about 12-18 months ago at auction in Munich for right around 100k, which seemed like a good deal to me. It was owned by Lorenzo on this board, and you can find his posts. So, they are out there.

Nash

Reaction score
CSLs

BMWM1,

I hope you dont mind me saying, but the Colorado CSL in the Munich sale was the deal year in my humble opinion and thinking you might find another "as nice" one of the original 169 cars again at that money, is a big ask. I wish you well, but I would not recommend you base your criteria or your price range for a true lightweight in that condition significantly higher. Especially since things E9 have moved in a northerly direction since that sale

That sale had no buyers and that car was the best CSL there. Many may disagree (certainly entitled to) but I think an original carb car is worth as much as a Batmobile.

Here is how I get to that conclusion.

169 cars built and the very first CSLs.
Every car is a true lightweight and as I understand it no underseal.
I think they all had aluminum trunk, hood and door skins, many Bats didn't.
Many were turned into the race cars we love watching on those historic You Tube moments.

So of the 169, how many have turned to dust, an E9 with absolutely no protection and thinner gauge metal, I think its fair to assume quite a few.

Of course there were Bats turned into race cars and there were Bats that have turned to dust, but I am guessing there are less pure lightweights, including the fuel injected cars than there are Batmobiles.

So one day - who knows when - when the big money boys want to buy the most important E9s, I think the first and purist will command large $$$

Just an opinion.

RonP

Reaction score
BMWM1,

I hope you dont mind me saying, but the Colorado CSL in the Munich sale was the deal year in my humble opinion and thinking you might find another "as nice" one of the original 169 cars again at that money, is a big ask. I wish you well, but I would not recommend you base your criteria or your price range for a true lightweight in that condition significantly higher. Especially since things E9 have moved in a northerly direction since that sale

That sale had no buyers and that car was the best CSL there. Many may disagree (certainly entitled to) but I think an original carb car is worth as much as a Batmobile.

Here is how I get to that conclusion.

169 cars built and the very first CSLs.
Every car is a true lightweight and as I understand it no underseal.
I think they all had aluminum trunk, hood and door skins, many Bats didn't.
Many were turned into the race cars we love watching on those historic You Tube moments.

So of the 169, how many have turned to dust, an E9 with absolutely no protection and thinner gauge metal, I think its fair to assume quite a few.

Of course there were Bats turned into race cars and there were Bats that have turned to dust, but I am guessing there are less pure lightweights, including the fuel injected cars than there are Batmobiles.

So one day - who knows when - when the big money boys want to buy the most important E9s, I think the first and purist will command large $$$

Just an opinion.

You, sir are 100% correct. I just finished a full restoration on Bat #483 for Bobby Rahal. It is probably the best in the Nation, and maybe in the world...sans maybe a few original cars. I estimate the value of his car at $250k. Mine is going up for auction next month (#525) and expect to get close to that number as well.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You have to be patient and ready to move quickly... if that makes sense. If you're willing to import one you'll greatly expand your options as well. And as always, you're much more likely to land one if you're willing to "pay ahead" a little.

Good luck with your search.

-Richard (so I don't get accused of hiding behind my user name)

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Neil,

Congrats to own one of the classic BMWs like the M1. If I remember correctly Christopher Cross owned two M1s. One red and one white. Both in the mid-range VIN of the produced M1s. The red one some 44 VINs earlier than the white one.

As regards Taiga lightweight CSLs for sale, it's pretty limited. No RHD CSLs were really light (they all came with city pack).

From the first serie (carbs) there were no ones in Taiga. Most of them were Inka and the third most popular color was Colorado. From this first serie around 40% of the cars are traced.

Of the injection CSLs (LHD non-bat), Taiga was a pretty common color. However, from this serie, very few were really light (without city-pack).

Serie one Bats were only built in Chamonix and Polaris (+ one client request)

Serie two Bats in Taiga are less than five cars - none of them really light.

In order words, if going for a really light Taiga, I wld guess there are only some 5-7 possible cars (LHD injection, non-bat).

For the Inka and Colorado, in the really light version, there are more possible cars. I would say that here in Europe (mainly Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy, Austria etc) you will find most of the LHD cars for sale.

Cheers

Henric

ny30cs

Reaction score
there used to be a local guy from ri who had one of the early cabuerated csls. He'd bring it to the local german car show dressed in full laderhosen (him not the car). He also would bring it up to the nhms track. It was not show quality then and the rust was beginning to take hold of the front fenders if i remeber correctly. I have not seen him in at least 5 years. He had a beautiful light blue mb 4.5 sedan also.

I'll bet john sullivan would know his name if you were interested in looking him up.

lmao!!!!!

ny30cs

Reaction score
You, sir are 100% correct. I just finished a full restoration on Bat #483 for Bobby Rahal. It is probably the best in the Nation, and maybe in the world...sans maybe a few original cars. I estimate the value of his car at $250k. Mine is going up for auction next month (#525) and expect to get close to that number as well.

Ron,
Just saw the CSL you did for Bobby in Bimmer Magazine! Exceptional!!! Very well done.

windnsea

Reaction score
Small world! I remember in the early '80's when the Los Angeles Chapter of the BMW Automobile Club of America put on one of their many driving schools at Willow Springs (up in the high desert north of Los Angeles) and Christopher Cross showed-up with his M1. Mike Dietel also had his M1 at the event, so we had great fun.

It was fun being at speed on a race course and being in the company of two M1's. Mike, being an accomplished driver wove through all traffic in front of him. Christopher was there just to enjoy the vehicle!.

We all had great fun!! And still do!

Windnsea
E3 Alpina