WTB: Window switch blanks for manual window cars

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking for a few window switch blanks in very good condition. These would have been in the center console, in place of the electric window switches in a manual window car. There's apparently two types. One that's flat and one that's a bit rounded. I need the rounded ones.
IMG-20221201-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20221201-WA0002.jpg

Picture attached

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looking for a few window switch blanks in very good condition. These would have been in the center console, in place of the electric window switches in a manual window car. There's apparently two types. One that's flat and one that's a bit rounded. I need the rounded ones.View attachment 152736View attachment 152737

Picture attached
hello, I have 2

Attachments

• 20221203_215431.jpg
    20221203_215431.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 52

Wladek

Reaction score
Just in case - there are two types of blindes: 1. for early swithes <73 as above. 2. for later switches 73< more square type edges.

p.s. just read that Tyson mentioned about that

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
How good did they turn out and was the quality good ??

They turned out well. I can grab some pics next time I'm at the car. All we did was disassemble a normal switch, remove the guts and put a cover plate in where the toggle section was. Took an age to find some plastic with a similar corrugation profile. If memory serves we ended up using some roof sections from a model railway station :)

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
They turned out well. I can grab some pics next time I'm at the car. All we did was disassemble a normal switch, remove the guts and put a cover plate in where the toggle section was. Took an age to find some plastic with a similar corrugation profile. If memory serves we ended up using some roof sections from a model railway station :)

Had to settle for a section of Swiss railway. That irked me. Couldn't find a suitable piece of Bavarian railway...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@tferrer,

Perhaps you can check with your CNC contact. What would it take to make these out of aluminum and have them polished? If the price wasn’t ludicrous I would be open to four of them.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
we looked at doing these with 3-D printing, but it was very hard to get the smooth finish on the plastic and then to put on the chrome finish

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
we looked at doing these with 3-D printing, but it was very hard to get the smooth finish on the plastic and then to put on the chrome finish

Yeah that is what CNC is good for! It can be expensive since it is a subtractive process but the little chunks of billet aluminum wouldn’t cost a thing in this case.

03805659-EFB6-4733-B7F4-A54213F6E5A6.jpeg

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos - Yea, not sure there's enough of a need to have these scanned and produced. Likely more expensive than they look. the details on the serrations is quite complex and fine. There's probably a bag of these sitting at a european dealership in a dusty corner, somewhere.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Wes - I reached out to @Krzysztof about the ones he might have. IF you don't need them (due to your model train sourcing efforts), I could use them. Just wanted to let you know.

Tyson

Reactions: Wes

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Last week, while looking at my car at @sfdon - we discussed this. I have manual front windows and the blanking plates that I already have were less than desirable. With no other real option - I'll probably be putting in 'real'' switches even though they will not be functional.
Who knows - I could always wire them up for phasers or photon torpedoes or something (I have the warp dive already taken care of - LOL)

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last week, while looking at my car at @sfdon - we discussed this. I have manual front windows and the blanking plates that I already have were less than desirable. With no other real option - I'll probably be putting in 'real'' switches even though they will not be functional.
Who knows - I could always wire them up for phasers or photon torpedoes or something (I have the warp dive already taken care of - LOL)
Yes, the switches are very pretty and OCD people can always futz around with them instead of biting their nails or worse.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score

I've looked at various options to "re-chrome" these. There are some new very high quality chrome paints that after looking at the videos of, think would work quite well...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello,
I got many deferent brand and the same brand on this video, I maybe not a professional painter but I can spray, it is nothing compare to real chrome you easily can tell it is paint, but it is good for restoring our E9 tail light and front corner light all E9 tail light reflector are gun and it is not shine with this paint it shin and makes it good and strong tail light