your most loved oldtimer ?

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
perhaps i surprize people here but imho , a oldtimer ( as hobby) must be convertible.
We love the wrenching, restoring and…. cruising on sunny days. We love driving old school cars and admiring them from a terras with a good glas wine or beer.... So , for me , the ideal one is sporty , nice body shell and… yes , sure convertible ! Who wants to be in a tin top on a sunny day trip ? :D

Yes , i have my E9 for rallys ….. but would not take that car for a cruise.... not even my blue OEM one.

i wonder what you guys think…..

and yes, this is , for years now, our favorite for trips.... Morgan +4 from '89
( pic from a "cruise" rally last Sunday )

PL2018.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a 19 year old non old timer convertible and the best time (for me) to drive it top down is at night, preferably with Stars or a Big Moon out.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
my favorite old timer is my oldest car (xk120 OTS), despite the fact that it drives like a fast tractor.

" drove it top down at night..."

YES! I too love late night drives, at speed, and when its cold enough to keep the bug count down. There's something magical about blasting down a motorway at 90mph on a clear, cold, moon lit night. A pair of 7.7" headlamps light the way, as the crisp night air messes up your hair, a Scottish lambs wool scarf keeps the cold draft off the back of your neck, an elbow hung over the crash rail your gloved hands lightly hold and finese the 17" steering wheel as the motor humming happily at 3900 rpm thru a straight-thru (open) exhaust whick booms like a bomb in every underpass. As you pass modern cars, you can imagine them saying, "look at that nut job in the convertible..."

Philippe db

Reaction score
Well I really don't have a favourite, I just like all of them. They all are so very different and for different reasons they all make you happy once your driving them.

All things considered I like to think that my favourite is the one I'm still missing.

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've never liked convertibles. The weather in NW England is not normally suitable.

However after 4 weeks with no rain, temperatures over 30 degrees C and spontaneous wild fires around Manchester and Bolton,
perhaps the time has come for a re-think?

Has anyone got a spare Ferrari Daytona spyder?

Marco

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i hope you have alot of sofa's ….. :D
Just one, unfortunately - and so far no luck.
Perhaps I need to aim a little lower, although even the replica on the same page was priced at £29,995.
I think you have called my bluff!!!

Cheers, Barry.

Marco

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Marco , the price doesn't always guarantee the fun you can have ….. the 5 years we had our boat in the South of France we kept a grocery getter there…. in grand childrens ( girls ) color ! :eek: We loved that Mini Moke …. but sold it once back in Belgium and bought the Morgan....
mm1.jpg

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Marco , the price doesn't always guarantee the fun you can have ….. the 5 years we had our boat in the South of France we kept a grocery getter there…. in grand childrens ( girls ) color ! :eek: We loved that Mini Moke …. but sold it once back in Belgium and bought the Morgan....
View attachment 48922
Hi Barry

Now that is a cute car. I bet the children loved it.

I am also sure you are right about the price paid for a car not being proportionate to the enjoyment from it.
I'd be scared witless to drive a million dollar Daytona in case I bruised it.

My first car was a golf yellow 2002 fitted with a 35mm Petri steering wheel.
It looked good but, with that setup it was hard work parking it!

Nonetheless it was great fun and got me hooked.

Marco

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've never liked convertibles. The weather in NW England is not normally suitable.
Marco

Funny that as The UK produced an enormous number of convertible sports cars over tha last century. Most of my UK old car friends drive DHC’s (some roadsters as well). I asked about the combination of old leaky convertibles and the weather. The explanation was
(1) the rain tends to be on and off more than a constant drizzle, which jives with my experience putting around central/southern UK in an old car).
(2) Brits are optimists