Zenith accelerator pump question

brian c

Reaction score
I'm busy rebuilding my zeniths that were just "professionally" rebuilt and finding some interesting stuff. It looks like the shop just removed the top sections of the carb and replaced the gaskets. With the accelerator pumps, there are two different styles. One had the brass cap under the plastic retainer, one had the brass cap loose resting on top of the plastic retainer. Also only one of the plungers had a spring under the plunger as pictured. I don't see this on the schematics that I have but am I correct in assuming that this spring should be here. Without it, I'm guessing the plunger wouldn't be pushed back up. I think I will order new plungers but need to find a source for a spring and a fuel cut off solenoid. Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 124

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm busy rebuilding my zeniths that were just "professionally" rebuilt and finding some interesting stuff. It looks like the shop just removed the top sections of the carb and replaced the gaskets. With the accelerator pumps, there are two different styles. One had the brass cap under the plastic retainer, one had the brass cap loose resting on top of the plastic retainer. Also only one of the plungers had a spring under the plunger as pictured. I don't see this on the schematics that I have but am I correct in assuming that this spring should be here. Without it, I'm guessing the plunger wouldn't be pushed back up. I think I will order new plungers but need to find a source for a spring and a fuel cut off solenoid. Ideas?

left side one is correct
right side one is one of dr.frankestein's sons

plungers are available from bmw dealer
spring depends on which one, a photo would help
fuel cut off solenoids are scarce, i may have one left somewhere, i recall you can buy them online somewhere

brian c

Reaction score
Thanks DQ, I now see what they did. The plunger on the right doesn't have the metal shoulder that loads the spring to retract the plunger so they put an extra spring in the bore to push the plunger back up. Nice.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
A few months back, Ebay vendor "HenryBMW" had a NOS solenoid for sale. Perhaps email him and see.