Zenith Accelerator Pumps

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I finally removed and replaced the accelerator pumps on our 2800, the symptoms were sluggish response at lower RPMs when accelerating. In all it took maybe 30 minutes tops. It was no surprise that I found the original pumps with their unique leather skirts were still present. I bought new pumps from Carl Nelson.

You first remove the air cleaner and the center mounting stud. There are eight screws around the perimeter, keep them in order as two are slightly longer. Then remove the smaller screw under the mounting stud.

IMG_1765.JPG

Next remove the small set screw from the rod controlling the choke plate.

Carefully lift off the cover and the pump is now visible, located under the lever that actuates it. Remove the screw that holds the lever and gently pry its post outwards to remove the lever.

IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1767.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG
IMG_1769.JPG

Lift up the pump, insert your new one and button it back up, pretty simple.

IMG_1770.JPG
IMG_1771.JPG
IMG_1772.JPG

Last edited:

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ah, you replaced the entire plunger. I replaced only the leather cups. The slot in the end confused me for a while, it looks like it will unscrew, but it doesn't. You have to pull it off the end, the lengthwise grooves in the shaft won't let it turn. Otherwise, it was pretty straightforward as you describe. Excellent photos btw.

Ian

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, great write up- thanks. One thing you missed though... there are two specs of dirt (oil?) on one of your intake manifolds! ;-))

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 4.04.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 4.04.49 PM.png
    336.7 KB · Views: 97

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Had no idea they were still available. Was lucky when I rebuilt a few years back, the Royce kit actually came with them.